A lot has changed on the baseball landscape in the week that I was on vacation.
The Pirates collapsed after acquiring Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick, and Lee later went on the disabled list.
The Arizona Diamondbacks moved into first place in the NL West.
And my Times-News Challenge team stayed out of last place. The goal is at least fourth place, and I’m feeling pretty confident heading into the last few weeks of the season.
Hopefully your team is heading in the right direction, too. Here are some notes and suggestions to help down the stretch:
– Dan Uggla continues to be a hitting machine. Uggla made it 33 straight games with a hit Saturday night. What’s really bizarre is he only has a .229 average (through Friday).
– The Chronicles of Carlos Zambrano continue to amaze. Zambrano plunked Chipper Jones on Friday, got kicked out of the game and later talked about retiring. I drafted him this season but cut him a month into the season. If he’s still on any fantasy roster out there, it’s safe to say cut him.
– Like hearing the home run call, “An A-Bomb … from A-Rod”? He’s due to return to the Yankees lineup next week, so get ready to activate him.
– With Huston Street hitting the DL for the Rockies, look for Rafael Betancourt to pick up save opportunities.
– Shin-Soo Choo is back in the Indians’ lineup. It’s safe to get him activated if you haven’t done so yet.
– In my crazy 18-team league (where I’m in second place, by the way), I had Alexi Casilla return from the DL. Well, that didn’t last long. He went back on the DL on Saturday and will be removed from my team altogether.
– If you’re an Adam Lind owner, you have to be happy with Saturday’s game (grand slam). I’m still not convinced, however, that his struggles are over.
– Jorge Posada’s six RBIs were sweet Saturday.