Three things I’m loving this week:
1. Smooth sailing, er, driving. It occurred to me yesterday that it’s been weeks since we’ve had to deal with crappy driving conditions and, for that, especially in Erie in January/February, I am truly grateful. (knock on wood!).
2. “Cougar Town.” I hated this new Courtney Cox ABC TV show the first couple of times I saw it. I even counted it among the “things I’m not loving” in October.
But because I’m too lazy to get up and retrieve the remote control from my sleeping husband’s hand, I’ve watched several episodes and have come to love it. (This is the same way I came to love “The Office,” by the way). It’s a quirky show — think “Scrubs” — that can take some getting used to, but once you get the humor….it’s positively hysterical.
If you, like me, wrote it off early on, you might want to give it another chance.
3. Lap swimming. When I was pregnant with Kelly I swam a mile three times a week before work. It was relaxing and made me feel light despite the watermelon growing in my belly.
Once the girls came, I got away from swimming. It’s not the quickest of exercise endeavors (at least not for me) and requires going to the gym, bullying my way into a lane, getting wet, showering, getting dry, etc., etc. Aerobics class or throwing on a pair of running shoes and taking off out the door is just easier and quicker.
But, last night I swam laps while Kelly was in swim class and was reminded how entirely peaceful swimming is.
No one can talk to you. No blaring music. No shouting instructor. No jockeying for floor space. No sweating (some might, I don’t). It’s quiet. It’s cool. I can’t see much except the lane line below me. I can’t think about much (unless I want to lose count of what lap I’m on). I just breathe, count constantly (one, one, one, one, one) and glide. Ahhhh…..
Three things I’m not loving this week
1. Plantar fasciitis. Who knew this common runner’s problem has been the cause of many of my foot, heel, arch issues in the last several years. The folks at Hertle & Brown Physical Therapy did.
It hit me hard in the left foot on during my run Sunday. It’s something that’s happened off & on for years now. After just one treatment session at Hertle & Brown yesterday, my foot already feels much better. (And that’s something I’m loving this week).
So long high heels…it was fun while it lasted.
2. Houseplants in winter. Is it just me…or do your houseplants attempt suicide every winter, too? I have two giant potted plants that are dropping leaves like a freaking oak tree in October.
I know they’re upset that they are no longer soaking up the sunshine and fresh air on the front porch, but…honestly, we’re all wilting in the dark cold of another Erie winter…just deal with it. (And stop littering all over my living room floor or you’re going to taking a one-way ride on the big green garbage truck).
3. John Edwards = monumental liar. Need I say more?