If you are not James Lehr, you are eligible for today’s drawing for “Cooking Italian With The Cake Boss: Family Favorites as Only Buddy Can Serve Them Up,” by Buddy Valastro, of TLC series “Cake Boss.”
The book has lots of personal reflection, as well as helpful tips and down-to-Earth recipes. Recipes for Garlic Bread, Pesto Chicken Panini, and Pasta Carbonara, below.
To enter the drawing, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org including your NAME, MAILING ADDRESS and NAME OF THE BOOK you want.
Just here for the food? Here you go:
1 pound dried spaghetti
3 large very fresh eggs, preferably organic
1 cup (4 ounces) freshly, finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch dice, about 1 cup
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, 7 to 8 minutes.
2. Put the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat them, then stir in the cheese.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy saute3 pan over medium heat. Add the oil and warm slightly. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring, until it renders its fat and starts to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, another 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. When the pasta is done, reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, then drain the spaghetti in a colander. Immediately transfer the spaghetti to the bowl with the egg-and-cheese mixture. Toss thoroughly to coat, cooking the egg slightly with the heat of the pasta. Add the pancetta and garlic and toss to coast. If the mixture appears dry, add a little of the pasta’s cooking liquid and toss again.
5. Season the pasta with the pepper, divide among 4 to 6 plates or large, shallow bowls and serve.
– “Cooking Italian With The Cake Boss: Family Favorites as Only Buddy Can Serve Them Up,”