First, I need to invite you to upload your recipes for healthy food to GoErie for a chance to win gift cards to Frankie & May Fresh Grocer at West 12th and Peninsula. The prizes are $250 for the winner, and $50 each for runners up.
To enter, visit the GoErie website. The popular vote will determine the three winners and judges will try the dishes to determine the ranking of the top three. You have until Feb. 6 to enter.
Also, check out our new bi-weekly video, “Healthy At Home” video with Melissa Wilson, which launched today. Find it at
Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who entered to win “100 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes,” by Stacey J. Miller. The winner is Lynne Pontzer. I’ll pop it in the mail today.
If you are not Lynne Pontzer, you are eligible to enter the drawing for “500 Paleo Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes for Weight Loss and Super Health,” by Dana Carpender. The author also penned “1,001 Low-Carb Recipes,” if you’re familiar with that. And even if you aren’t.
The paleo diet (aka the caveman diet) is based on what some think humans evolved to eat, meaning no processed food or artificial sweeteners. It’s based on meats and fish, nuts and seeds and naturally grown fruits and vegetables.
The book isn’t so exotic that noncavemen and noncavewomen can’t use it for healthier takes on favorites, including Super Bowl-worthy Guacamole:
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 ripe avocados
4 dashes hot sauce
2 pinches salt
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, optional
1. Have your onion minced and garlic crushed and in a bowl first.
2. Halve your avocados and use a spoon to scoop the flesh out into the bowl.
3. Use a fork to mash up the avocado. Don’t go for super-smooth texture; leave some little lumps of avocado.
4. Now squeeze in the juice of the half lime and add the hot sauce and salt and cilantro if using.
5. Stir and serve immediately. Guacamole doesn’t hold up very well.
PER SERVING: 167 calories, 15 grams fat, 2 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber, 6 grams net carbs.
– “500 Paleo Recipes,” by Dana Carpender