Wallpaper should come right off using the special products (like DIF) out there today. I used them, I serrated the wallpaper with that round gizmo. I sprayed it, soaked it and when that didn’t work, I made my own product from recipes I found on the internet , some including fabric softener. There was no getting around it. I had to chip it away, layer by layer. What in the world did they use for wallpaper paste? I think maybe it was real glue, like hide glue, or maybe even the glue you make using flour. It wasn’t affected by the products meant to remove the wallpaper of today. I ended up gouging a lot of my real plaster walls. But I did get it off eventually. I saved the layers I could just for posterity’s sake. I didn’t know about the wallpaper steamers, perhaps that would have helped to rent one of those. If you have every had to remove wallpaper you will know what it is like and then times it by 5 or 6 times with the different layers.
I scanned the remnants of the wallpaper on my flatbed scanner as you can see below. The color isn’t really right. I’m missing two of the layers but they are somewhere in this house hiding in a save-forever box… somewhere. The Greek key pattern is more blue. I didn’t like the look of the Greek key at all. I wonder how anyone could live with such a busy pattern. I don’t care for the last one either as the pattern was so BIG. I have done a little bit of research on the different patterns of wallpaper and tried to date the ones I had on the wall. See photos by clicking “read the rest of this entry.” Read the rest of this entry »