We decided to go look at another store but then I saw the repair kits. I saw the ones I used to use. They have spider-like pins that you squeeze tight onto the hose and that repair always leaked for me. I spotted the plastic ones that screw on and I remember I did try that one once and it worked but cracked soon after. I spotted one that was metal with a brass fitting. You just unscrew the two screws on the clamp and loosen it up. Then just insert the brass fitting inside the hose and screw down the clamps. Easy as pie and tight as a fiddle. Things improved over the years.
Our leaking hose was 50 ft so I cut it to the length I wanted, then made the repair. I’m saving the left over hose because I can put another end on each side and use it somewhere else. The repair kits were under $4 for one end. They sell repairs for both ends, of course, but separately. We saved about $20 repairing the hose instead of buying a new one. Below: The metal piece with the two screws and the brass fitting is the repair.