Here’s an update on former District 10 standouts competing in Division II football:
• Mercyhurst defensive back Colin Kimball, a McDowell graduate, had another strong performance even though the Lakers’ defense struggled in a 58-34 loss to Slippery Rock Saturday.
For the second time this season, Kimball returned an interception for a touchdown. This time he went 58 yards for a TD to trim Mercyhurst’s deficit to 38-17 early in the third quarter. He also led the Lakers with nine tackles (three solo).
The 5-foot 11-inch, 160-pound junior leads Mercyhurst with four interceptions for a whopping 144 return yards. Kimball also has defended five passes, has one pass breakup and has forced a fumble. He is tied for third on the team in scoring with 12 points.
• Another former McDowell star, Dustin Galich, had a solid effort of the Lakers. The senior defensive lineman collected seven tackles, including two for 7 yards in losses. That included a sack for a 5-yard loss. Galich also broke up a pass.
• Former General McLane standout Matt Astorino, a sophomore safety, had an interception to set up Gannon’s go-ahead touchdown in its 45-25 victory at Clarion on Saturday.
The score was tied at 7 late in the first quarter when Astorino picked off a Clarion pass and returned it 24 yards to the Clarion 31-yard line.
Five plays later, Jansen Jones gave Gannon (3-1) the lead for good with a 9-yard touchdown run.
• Several Erie County products had solid defensive outings Saturday in Edinboro’s 43-7 victory over Seton Hill.
Strong Vincent graduate Brandon Marlow, a sophomore defensive end, made four tackles, including half a tackle for a 2-yard loss. Corry grad Alec Gluvna, a sophomore defensive tackle, had three tackles, including one for a 2-yard loss. Northwestern grad Blaine Iskula, a junior defensive end, added an assisted tackle for a 1-yard loss. McDowell grad Sean Gallagher, a freshman defensive back, had two tackles.
Offensively, General McLane grad Kellen O’Neill, a senior wide receiver, had a season-high four receptions for 19 yards, including a long of 11 yards. He has eight catches for 54 yards this season.
– Jeff Kirik, sports editor