There’s more football recruiting news from the Erie area with national signing day set for Wednesday.
• On Thursday, Fairview senior Shannon Jackson committed to Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Jackson, a 6-foot 1-inch, 215-pound all-stater, rushed for more than 2,000 yards as a junior and more than 1,700 as a senior despite facing defenses that were geared to stop him.
Jackson is the second area recruit that IUP landed this week. Cathedral Prep two-way lineman Devonne Barnes also committed to the Crimson Hawks.
•A recent online report noted that former Cathedral Prep star Shyquawn Pullium is no longer on Kentucky’s commitment list. Pullium originally committed to Penn State in 2010 but then attended Blinn College in Texas. It’s yet not known if Pullium will commit to a different four-year school.
• Three-year Grove City High School standout Foster Reznor has accepted a full ride from Gannon University, his father reported Thursday. Foster Reznor also had offers from Slippery Rock and IUP, according to Bill Reznor.
• Lakeview’s all-state lineman, Sam Breese, also a state champion wrestler, has committed to Kent State of the Mid-American Conference. Breese dominated on both sides of the ball while leading the Sailors to their first District 10 championship.
• Check out today’s Varsity Letter column, which deals with the ups and downs of recruiting as signing day approaches. History shows that some players make the right pick and others struggle with the college decision. Read more here.
– Jeff Kirik, sports editor