Posts in the
* You don’t need a gym membership or weights so strength train. Use your own body weight. Check out these exercises that will challenge your whole body (and there are links to more, too).
* The Art of Running Shoe Maintenance has some interesting tips (some I’ve never heard before) to keep your running shoes in top form.
* Beware of signing up for any races directed by The Shadiest Man in the Racing Business. (Can you imagine signing up for a marathon, doing all the training, booking the hotel, and then find on race morning that there is no race???)
* Runners are often Type-A people who don’t love to sleep because..you know, it’s just not that productive and they’d much rather be doing 10,000 other things and maybe go for another run, but making time for serious Zs is just as important as your weekly long run (maybe more). Need more convincing? Here are 25 things that happen if you don’t get enough sleep. (and having made an effort to increase my own sleep time, I can tell you it makes a world of difference).
I know this is a running blog not a political or biking blog, but seeing how many of us cross-train on two wheels, I thought some of you might find this interesting.
Kathy Dahlkemper who is running for Erie County Executive, is embarking on a 3-day, 110-mile bike trip across Erie County and she’s looking for riders to join her along the way.
The trip, titled Pedaling for Progress, will begin at 1 p.m. on September 12 at her campaign headquarters, 831 W. 38th Street when she’ll set out for North East (16 miles = approximately 1.5 hours). After spending a few hours in North East, she’ll depart at 4 p.m. for Corry, with a short pit stop in Wattsburg, on the way.
Day two (Friday, Sept. 13) brings a trip from Corry to Union City and Union City to Edinboro.
Day three (Saturday, Sept. 14) consists of a ride from Edinboro to Albion. Albion to Girard. And, finally Girard to Waldameer.
There are pit stops and breaks between rides. A complete itinerary is here
If you’re so inclined and you want to pedal along with Kathy, sign up here.
* Duct tape: The runners new best friend?
* 10 workouts you can do with an IKEA table. (So get thee to IKEA!)
* Marathon Everyman “Yuki Kawauchi is a world-class athlete, a full-time government clerk, and a Japanese national hero. Could he change the way we think about running?”
* Could you cut it in Washington, D.C. as an intern? Check out the Running of the Interns. (LOL…I would kick some a@# in D.C.).
T-shirt of the Week
Available here in various sizes/styles.
Like Wine? Like Yoga? Then, you’ll love this idea: Mindfulness Yoga for Beginners and Beyond, followed by a mindful approach to wine tasting.
Where: Harborcreek’s only winery — 6 Mile Cellars, 5727 Firman Road (just a few miles from Route 20).
When: Saturday, June 15, 6-8 p.m.
Who: Michael Plasha from Plasha Yoga will teach class in the apple orchard behind the winery.
What (to bring): A mat or blanket for yoga.
Also…Light refreshments will be provided by SueAnn Miills form Cresent Catering, which will be complemented by a glass of 6 Mile Cellars’ wine.
Reservations are required. Email admin@6MileCellars.com or call 580-8375.
Speaking of yoga….
Yoga for Runners Workshops
Don’t forget that Yoga, Pilates, and More in Erie has continuing runner’s workshops:
* Saturday, July 13 — Yoga for Runners: Focus on Common Injuries
* Saturday, Aug. 3 — Yoga for Runners: Putting it All Together
Cost is for each workshop is $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Details & registration here.
* Build a better core with these 5 Workouts for Stronger Running
* And….once you work on your core, you can maximize your mobility with these 6 exercises. (Um..seriously, don’t discount mobility, the lack of it causes many injuries because we compensate with crappy form).
* Yes, You Can Run an Ultramarathon (Tips, guides, advice here…see links to more info at the bottom of this intro article).
* Long run on a hot day? Suck down a slushie first. “A new study published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise found that runners who drank a ten-ounce slushie (made of blended ice and sugar water) were able to run 19 percent longer before exhaustion in 93-degree heat than a control group drinking the same ice-cold beverage in liquid form.”
P.S. I’ll have More hot weather running tips posted tomorrow!
Tshirt of the week
Available here for $20.
* Dogs get high, too, but ferrets don’t.
* Does it seem like it takes longer to recover the older you get? Um, it does. Here’s why.
* For the ladies: Jezebel: If You Must Think About your Weight, Here Are 10 Things to Think About Warning: there are plenty of f-bombs in this article, but this is probably the greatest thing I’ve read in…well, ever. I’m at that stage where I’m pissed off about this situation we’ve all bought into. I’m sick of women’s magazines and fitness magazines and women’s expos that are full of ways for us to fix ourselves — lose weight, fix your hair, get the whitest teeth, cook better….f@#$ you, I’m fine the way I am. READ THIS. PRINT IT OUT. GET MAD.
Video of the Week
Hmmm….now this treadmill workout could possibly hold my interest:
For all my ultra-running friends. (This is a JOKE…though, you have to admit….it’s funny because most of it is true, right?). LOL.
T-Shirt of the Week
Available here for $19.97.
If you have absolutely no idea what I’m taking about, read this. If you don’t have time for that, watch this:
OK…..now that were all up to speed, the good news…..drumroll, please…..
You can learn it right here in Erie. Erie runners and trainers Julie Robinson and Sean Donachy have formed a business called RunErie to teach local runners how to improve their form, which will result in better race times and — most importantly — fewer injuries! Yay!
They’ve already taught two classes and they are offering another on Saturday, May 25 at 8 a.m. CrossFit FBO at 1311 Chestnut Street. Cost is $10 and space is limited. Details here. Contact them on Facebook or call 450-7786 for more info or to RSVP.
Chi vs. Pose Method
You may have heard of Chi running before, too. It similar, but there are some differences as well. Here’s everything you ever wanted to know about Chi running versus Pose method, but, if you don’t have time for that, here’s the short version:
“Pose running puts more demand on the legs, using muscle control to maintain proper positioning. ChiRunning teaches that the leg below the knee should be relaxed, taxing the muscle very little. The primary focus of ChiRunners is core strength and the belief that energy can be redirected from the trunk to the extremities. Another key difference is that pose running uses a short stride while ChiRunning extends the stride, again to alleviate the effort on leg muscles.
Probably the most distinguishing characteristic between these two approaches is that pose running is primarily focused on the physiological elements of running. ChiRunning on the other hand, is steeped in Eastern philosophies that, while may be perfectly valid, Western runners may have trouble applying.”
Big Brother Fitbit Flex is watching tracking you. If you’re looking to get a handle on exactly how much exercise you’re getting every day and are considering strapping on a fitness tracker (think those armband things you wear that meausure your activities, calorie burn, sleep, etc.), word has it the new Fitbit Flex is the cream of the current crop.
* Should you eat before a morning workout? Probably.
* Too busy to train for a marathon? Here’s one that anyone…and I do mean anyone…can finish.
* The real cause of muscle cramps (it’s not what you might think) and how to avoid them. (I can vouch for this…learned it the hard way)
Video of the Week
Leave it to SNL to do the best parody commercials ever. This New Balance commercial is hysterical:
T-shirt of the Week
In honor of tonight’s final episode of The Office, the classic Michael Scott’s Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For the Cure race T-shirt:
Available here for $16.95.
OK, I don’t know what is cooler (coolest? most cool?) about this — that a local gym cares enough to want to make difference, that this class is on the beach, or that it will totally help you train for the Beast on the Bay.
Here’s the deal: Eric Taylor from Best Fitness in Erie said the gym wants to help Erie get healthier and, they are putting their money and muscle where their mouth is.
You may remember that last year Best Fitness offered a free one-month membership to everyone and anyone. FREE. To, hopefully, encourage people to develop the exercise habit.
NOW….they are offering a free P90X class on Monday nights at Beach No. 1. It’s a HITT class — high intensity interval training — that includes things like jumping, push ups, squats, running on the sand.
But, don’t be intimidated by the name or the exercises, Eric is quick to point out that the nice thing is that these workouts are adaptable to ANY fitness level. This class is designed for anyone from uber-fit to just getting off the couch. Note, however,that you must be at least 16 to participate in the class.
Class starts at 5:30 p.m. at Beach No. 1 (meet on the sand) and lasts about an hour. Workouts take place on the sand and using whatever else is around (perhaps jumping over driftwood, etc.).
The class started last week, so it’s going on right now through the end of the summer. This is a “drop in” thing, you don’t have to commit to be there every week or anything (you do have to get there a bit early to sign a waiver though).
By the way — this would be PERFECT training for those who are doing the Beast on the Bay run…or any “adventure run” and…HIT workouts are GREAT cross-training for runners, in general.
How awesome is that?
Couch to 5K program coming!
WAIT….LADIES…it get better! Eric and Best Fitness are planning to offer a free (free, free, free) Couch to 5K program for the community and they’ll train women to run the Her Times 5K! Eric is still working on the details, but they expect to kick the program off in July and will likely be meeting on Saturdays at the peninsula. He’s hiring a trainer to teach this course, so he’s actually paying for it (you’re not) and it’s just because he (and Best Fitness) want Erie to get healthier!
Eric & Best Fitness have a few other things in the works, too, including a Community Health Fair with the River of Life team and a Zumbathon at the Bayfront Convention Center on August 8.
Speaking of 5K training….
Harborcreek Township is offering their free learn-to-run program with Sandie Sweet again this summer, too. It starts in a couple weeks. Details to come soon!
* Ready for a new challenge? Try reverse running.
* Outside magazine puts Tough Mudder’s First Death Into Context.
* Beautiful with brains: Why the whole concept of a bikini body is bunk.
* The running racket: How big business wrecked the marathon. “The average entry fee for the top 25 U.S. marathons has gone up 35 percent since 2007, to $112—three and a half times faster than inflation—according to the industry association RunningUSA.”
Video of the Week
Friend and fellow runner, Rob Frank, and his crew — including runner Matt Kleck, filmed this awesome Beast on the Bay promo video during the 3-mile trial run:
HOWEVER…..there’s an even BETTER one of Matt Kleck doing a total face-plant in the lake. His “friend” Robb slowed down the video and added sound…it’s hilarious. If you know Matt or Rob or work out with Steve Krauza and his Team Adrenaline gang, ask them about it, and I’m sure they’ll share it with you.
Here’s a screen grab:
Poster of the week
T-Shirt of the Week
Available here in various styles starting at $14.99