Posts in the
Star Tribune: She found running and left troubles in the dust
How to pick the right running partner (Tip: If your goal is to get faster, your best running partners are those slightly faster than you. This means you may curse them while running because they will push you, but…that’s how you improve).
Because we can: Why we all need to run
Undies for running women (cute concept, but…pricey — 3 pairs for $48. Ouch).
Forget Fitbit - This T-shirt embeds fitness sensors into fabric (interesting)
NPR: ‘Why this Compulsion to Run long distances?’ A Runners’ Beautiful Confession (“…but when I run the world goes quiet.” Me, too, Oatmeal)
“Widespread” doping in Track & Field? *gasp* But, seriously, does this news really shock anyone? I hate to be jaded, but it’s seriously a matter of time before they bust Bolt or one of the other running superheros.
4 easy post-workout snacks that aid recovery.
Make your own marathon brag board (below). Step by step instructions here.
I don’t think that “Sunny Orange Creamsicle” would fit on a race bib though.
T-shirt of the Week
Available here in various styles..and various prices.
* Protein is key to satiating meals and, therefore, key to weight loss (you eat much less when you eat protein). Here are 9 Portable Protein Sources for Athletes (though I disagree with peanut butter…it’s full of sugar and peanuts are legumes, not nuts).
* Can’t figure out what your next race should be? Take the pop quiz to find out what your next challenge should be.
* Dogs don’t sweat, so be cautious about taking your favorite four-legged partner on a run on a hot, humid day (no matter how much they WANT to go). Heed these 12 safety tips for running with your dog in the heat.
Gear of the week (I’m getting bored with T-shirts)
Check out these cool MantraBands! Mantras can get you through a tough race. I’ve got several mantras and they’ve changed over the years. The one I relied on in the PA Grand Canyon marathon was “Relentless Forward Progression.” I don’t see that one here, but I’m thinking I won’t need that one again anyway. “Carpe Diem” or “Enjoy the Journey” might be better choices for me now.
Wanna be a Poser?
Also…don’t forget about Pose-method classes that are now available in Erie. Here are the details:
* Ironman Andy Potts shares his best training advice. (I think we should all start eating like little kids. I truly think we all eat too often…that eat small meals all day thing is bunk, provided the meals you do eat have protein and fat in them..yes, FAT…don’t be afraid. Trust me on this.).
* Next time someone tells you that running is bad for your knees, hit them with these 9 Ways Running is Good For Your Body.
* Planning to celebrate your latest running achievement with some new ink? Check out these 41 Running-Inspired Tattoos.
* If you’ve taken some time off from running, whether by choice or by doctor’s orders, here are 16 comeback songs to inspire you when you’re ready to lace up again.
Video of the Week
T-shirt of the Week