Posts in the
The best thing about a marathon? The spectators… especially the spectators with signs. I always see creative new ones — the funniest ones in Baltimore this weekend were those poking fun at the government shutdown. Here’s a selection of signs I managed to catch while on the run.
Under Armour is headquartered in Baltimore and we ran right past/through the Under Armour campus.
The first sign says: “Keep going! Don’t Stop…You’re almost there.” The second sign read: “That’s what she said!”
“Pain now, Beer later”
C”Chuck Norris never ran a marathon”
You have no idea how tempting this sign was!
Smart way to give high-fives without actually touching a bunch of sticky, sweaty hands!
Beautiful things are everywhere…if you look for them.
This lady was at mile 18 and….indeed…I felt like crap.
“”Don’t stop…people are watching” and “Look alive. Morgue ahead.” LOL.
I still have no idea what this means.
Psshhhh…I can’t remember the last time I had all 10 toenails.
“I’ll run with you, if you know CPR,” “More Cowbell?” and…the simple “Runners Rule!” (So do race supporters!)
“Keep running, you’re working harder than Congress” (Though, it’s not all that hard to outwork that crew, right?)
“We’re strangers, but I am SO proud of you!” (Awwww….)
The most awesome sign in the Baltimore marathon — Camden Yards (finish line is .21 miles from here).
THE most awesome sign in ANY marathon!
* Herald Sun: The truth about modelling: What I wish I’d said to my fans . While this isn’t running related, it’s quite interesting.
* The Reebooted Body: The Health and Fitness Industry is Dead (And That Includes You, Paleo). A must-read for anyone concerned about their own health, diet and fitness, you know…like you.
* How to balance running and strength training (and, yes, you should be strength training!)
* Downhill running tips (If you’re unaware there’s a technique to running downhill, it’s possible you’re doing it wrong. These tips are really helpful.)
T-shirt of the week
For your favorite athletic supporter:
Available here in various styles starting at about $22.
* Training for a marathon? Here’s how to avoid injury.
* Treadmill, Elliptical Trainer, or StairMaster: Which gym machine is best for weight loss? The answer may surprise you (and it’s DEAD on, in my personal experience.)
* Looking to hit the hills? Check out some of these routes (and upcoming races) at Penn State Behrend (yeah, I wrote this, but it’s OK to put myself on the “worth reading” list, right? Right? )
* 20 great triathlon spectator signs. (I swear to God, I would stop dead at sign No. 2 and make him drop trou…er, sign.)
T-Shirt of the Week
Available here in a variety of styles and colors.
NPR: ‘Why this Compulsion to Run long distances?’ A Runners’ Beautiful Confession (“…but when I run the world goes quiet.” Me, too, Oatmeal)
“Widespread” doping in Track & Field? *gasp* But, seriously, does this news really shock anyone? I hate to be jaded, but it’s seriously a matter of time before they bust Bolt or one of the other running superheros.
4 easy post-workout snacks that aid recovery.
Make your own marathon brag board (below). Step by step instructions here.
I don’t think that “Sunny Orange Creamsicle” would fit on a race bib though.
T-shirt of the Week
Available here in various styles..and various prices.
* Find out why slugs may be a runner’s new best friend.
* Why it pays to be a newbie.
* 8 “healthy” foods that are too good to be true. (Seriously, was anyone really fooled by “veggie chips?”)
Watch Anti-Irritation Expert, John McEnroe, prepare real men for the potential “pit”-falls of running a marathon. (Hilarious).
White is not enough
You’ve probably noticed the days are getting shorter and if you think wearing white is sufficient for night running, watch the video here. Then, buy yourself some reflective gear. Seriously. As my wise old friend Chuck always says, “Runners make ugly hood ornaments.”
Also…a tip: Carry a flashlight with you and when a car comes, turn it on and point the light at your feet. They’ll see your feet shuffling and know you’re a runner.
Tshirt of the week
I need like five of these:
Available here (but IMHO way overpriced at $44)
* Lindsey Lohan wants to run a marathon. Sure, many are scoffing at this news, but c’mon, we all know that running CAN change your life and it seems to me that Hollywood’s troubled starlet could stand to swap some old, unhealthy addictions for a new one. I believe in you, girl.
Tshirt of the Week
Available here for $28.
* Protein is key to satiating meals and, therefore, key to weight loss (you eat much less when you eat protein). Here are 9 Portable Protein Sources for Athletes (though I disagree with peanut butter…it’s full of sugar and peanuts are legumes, not nuts).
* Can’t figure out what your next race should be? Take the pop quiz to find out what your next challenge should be.
* Dogs don’t sweat, so be cautious about taking your favorite four-legged partner on a run on a hot, humid day (no matter how much they WANT to go). Heed these 12 safety tips for running with your dog in the heat.
Gear of the week (I’m getting bored with T-shirts)
Check out these cool MantraBands! Mantras can get you through a tough race. I’ve got several mantras and they’ve changed over the years. The one I relied on in the PA Grand Canyon marathon was “Relentless Forward Progression.” I don’t see that one here, but I’m thinking I won’t need that one again anyway. “Carpe Diem” or “Enjoy the Journey” might be better choices for me now.
Wanna be a Poser?
Also…don’t forget about Pose-method classes that are now available in Erie. Here are the details:
* Ironman Andy Potts shares his best training advice. (I think we should all start eating like little kids. I truly think we all eat too often…that eat small meals all day thing is bunk, provided the meals you do eat have protein and fat in them..yes, FAT…don’t be afraid. Trust me on this.).
* Next time someone tells you that running is bad for your knees, hit them with these 9 Ways Running is Good For Your Body.
* Planning to celebrate your latest running achievement with some new ink? Check out these 41 Running-Inspired Tattoos.
* If you’ve taken some time off from running, whether by choice or by doctor’s orders, here are 16 comeback songs to inspire you when you’re ready to lace up again.
Video of the Week
T-shirt of the Week
* Are you familiar with the hilarious website TheOatmeal.com? Did you know the author of Oatmeal is a distance runner? Here’s why.
* Fortunately, I’ve never had this problem, but…I know many runners do, so…here are 8 Tips for runners and GI Distress.
* There’s a new marathon in the tri-state ‘hood. Canton, OH, will be hosting the Pro Football Hall of Fame marathon in April. There’s a 1/2, too, which is perfectly timed to be a training run for anyone planning to run Cleveland in May.
* Uh….well, we runners are creatures of habit: Runner repeatedly poops in yard.
T-shirt of the Week
Available for $27 here.