It was a busy night of early-season college basketball as the Gannon and Mercyhurst teams combined to go 4-0 in PSAC West openers Wednesday.
• The Gannon men tipped off their season with a 59-51 victory against Cal at the Hammermill Center. Adam Blazek’s 20 points led the Knights in front of 1,215 fans at the ‘Mill.
• The No. 2-ranked Gannon women held off a tough California club 73-64 at the Hammermill Center to improve to 3-0 overall. Brittany Batts (19 points), Jen Papich (14 points, six rebounds) and Kelley Sundberg (13 points, four assists) played key roles for the Knights.
• The ‘Hurst men played a nail-biter as the Lakers hit six free throws in the final 22 seconds to edge Seton Hill 79-74 before 352 fans at the Mercyhurst Athletic Center. Jean Onana finished with 29 points for the Lakers.
• In the women’s game at the MAC, the Lakers’ Alayna White had 23 points as Mercyhurst beat Seton Hill 85-75. Villa Maria graduate Adrienne Kloecker added 22 points and eight rebounds for the Lakers.
In non-conference action:
• The Penn State Behrend men also won a season opener, beating Fredonia State 76-46 at the Junker Center. Nick Delisio (5 3-pointers, 22 points) and Casey Courneen (6 3-pointers, 20 points) led the Lions in the rout.
• Despite Brandon Smith’s 20 points and 15 rebounds, the Allegheny men suffered a one-point loss (67-66) against Geneva at the David Wise Center in Meadville. Behrend hosts Allegheny on Saturday at 7 p.m.