A look at college sports in Pennsylvania and featuring Pennsylvanians:
- Former Gannon soccer player Jamie Shadd is the new women’s soccer coach at Lake Erie College in Painesville, Ohio.
Shadd, most recently an assistant coach at Millersville, started her coaching career as a graduate assistant at Gannon in 2008 and then moved on to Allegheny College.
Shadd was a four-year starter at Gannon, winning a place on the National Soccer Coaches Association of America All-Region team and all-GLIAC second team in 2006.
Former Gannon athletic director Griz Zimmermann now holds that position at Lake Erie College.
- Harbor Creek graduate Jess Zoltowski had her first collegiate double-double Jan. 15 in Elmira’s 82-74 victory over RIT. Zoltowski had 17 points and 10 rebounds.
- Mercyhurst College’s Ian Wild and Brian Boyce and Gannon’s Connor Kimball were named to the PSAC Fall Top 10. Boyce also won in 2008.
The awards are selected by the PSAC’s sports information directors, recognizing student-athletes who excel in the classroom and in competition.
Other winners: Jessica Bennett, West Chester soccer; Kristen Brooks, Shippensburg field Hockey; Lindsay Foder, East Stroudsburg soccer; Matt Freed, East Stroudsburg football; Jen Harpp, Slippery Rock cross country; Nick Sipes, Clarion football; and Neely Spence, Shippensburg cross country.
Congratulations to all.
- Condolences to the family and friends of Gannon legend Joe Luckey, who died Tuesday.
- Edinboro opens its indoor track and field season Saturday by hosting the Al Hall Freedom Games.