Last night was a perfect night for a TNRL run at Casa Cass.
Despite some obstacles getting here (one closed road and one big accident at Moorehouse & Route 8), 10 runners hit Moorehouse Road at 7:05 in two directions.
Dan Cass, Pat Krott and Fred Evanoff opted for the longer (almost 6-mile) course with the hill from hell (that would be Kane Hill) and the rest of us did some version of the 4-mile out-and-back run which went right past the accident (which was mostly cleaned up by the time we got there) and over country roads.
* Jen Miller is on the mend and did a quick 2 miles. Yay, Jen!
* Karen Pekelnicky stuck to her 1/2 marathon training plan and did 3 miles in 33:37
* Barefoot runner, Tom Madura, was challenged by newly tar-and-chipped roads (dang Greene Twp.), so he cut it short & did 3 miles in 39 minutes.
Almost 4-mile course
Tom Twohig — 33:37
Heather Dunkle — 34:20
Heather Cass – 38:24
Jenn Wright — 38:24
Almost 6-mile course
Dan Cass — 46:23
Patt Krott — 46:24
Fred Evanoff – 47:02
(written in 3rd person because I had wrote this report to send to Jim)
* There was lots of great food for the afta-afta party with hot dogs grilled up by Jen Wright’s awesome husband, John Wright, who also served as the babysitter and lifeguard while the rest of us ran.
* Fred Evanoff brought amazing fresh blackberries, Tom Twohig’s wife whipped up some awesome blueberry muffins, Karen brought a yummy “embellished” pasta salad and Heather D. brought two — count ‘em two — delish pies from Art’s bakery. And…there was plenty more, too: chips, dips, watermelon…oh…and Labatt Blue, too.
* Heather C. took her life in her hands, chalking arrows on the two courses at rush hour (though, really…is there such a thing as “rush hour” in Greene Township?)
* Jim Lang, the Godfather of the TNRL, was MIA. A naughty 3-year-old is reported to have been involved.
* Karen P. is running her first half marathon in October — the Towpath 1/2 Marathon in October in Ohio. And, she recently completed her first Duathlon. This after having just run her very first race at the Her Times 5K in October of 2010. You go, girl.
* There was virtually no traffic on the 6-mile run thanks to all those “road closed” signs at Kane Hill. The nice thing about being a runner is that feet can go where wheels aren’t welcome.
* We exchanged Quad swim horror stories. Tom M., Tom T. and Heather C. all confessed to nearly drowning in the pool during the Quad swim. Fred says it’s all mental and they need to attend his swim class at Fairview on Thursday nights.
* Tom T. brought young Liam Twohig Sontheimer who was born just 4 days after Dan & Heather Cass‘ oldest daughter, Kelly. Both Liam and Kelly turned 10 in July.
* All the kids — Liam, Kelly & Lauren Cass and Adam & Lucas Wright — enjoyed the pool and later, they cooked marshmallows over burning newspaper (OK…it was supposed to be a real fire, but the Cass’ little patio fire pit wouldn’t keep a flame going if you filled the stupid thing with gasoline).
* Despite Heather C.’s consistent whining about vicious, free-roaming dogs in her area, no one was chased or even saw a dog larger than ankle-height.
* Heather C. may have found a willing sucker…I mean, early morning running partner as Heather D. said she doesn’t live too far and might get up at the butt-crack of dawn a day or two a week to join Heather C. for a few early-morning miles.
* Pat works third shift, so his “after work” run is at 7 a.m. Sweet, right?
* Heather C. needs to get a new camera because all the great photos she took of tonight’s TNRL are blurry. Boo!
* Next week’s TNRL is at the Evanoff’s house in McKean and Fred says they have a 4- and a 7-mile course. But, beware, Fred has dubbed the 7miler his “pissed-off” run course. Bring a dish if you wish…cause we’re partying afta-afta next week, too.