Nathaniel James Lemock
The Nathaniel James Lemock Memorial Race might get lost in the crush of May 5K races in Erie, but this is one race that you shouldn’t let fall off your radar because there are lots of special touches, like dri-fit shirts, full-color bibs and a feast after the run.
The race is scheduled for Sunday, May 27 at 3 p.m. at Beach No. 11 at Presque Isle State Park.
“The Nathaniel James Lemock Memorial Race is easily the most fun local race of the year, with a unique afternoon start time, friendly people, and delicious post-race food.” — Patrick Krott
I asked race director and Erie Runners Club board member D.J. Smith to tell us about Nathaniel James Lemock and what makes this 5K so special.
1. Who was Nathaniel James Lemock? What happened to him? Nathaniel was a high energy, constantly moving young man who graduated from the Northwest Pennsylvania Collegiate Academy and was enrolled in the Penn State petroleum engineering program after already achieving an associates degree in plastic engineering. He was a friend to all and loved to give his time to others. The middle child of 5 he was loved dearly by his family and he was looking forward to his future. He was in a car accident.
2. Why did you start this race in his name? Was he a runner? I started the race to honor his memory and the legacy he left. Yes, he was a runner.
3. How many years have you been doing the race? This is our second year and we plan on doing it for years to come!
4. How many are you expecting this year? 400 people
5. Why 3 p.m.? That’s an usual time for a race. An afternoon race is a nice change of pace and this way people who go to church won’t have to miss it.
6. Beach #11 is a unique location. What is the course? This is the location that Nathaniel and I ran a lot. The race will begin at the pavilion at Beach 11. Along the course you will see Niagara Pond, a part of Presque Isle Bay, Perry Monument, and Horseshoe Pond.
7. Is it a chipped race? It is timed by a magnetic strip that is attached to the back of the race bib tag. We like the use of race bibs, because its cool and classy. Our race bibs are custom made this year and are in full color. A nice memento.
8. What do you do with race proceeds? Some of the proceeds will go to Chi Alpha Campus Ministries, Penn State Behrend Campus Ministries, Penn State Behrend Gives Back and Walk on Water International. Some of the remaining proceeds will go back into the Nathaniel James Lemock Memorial Fund to help seed it for future races and events.
9. There are a lot of spring 5K races. Why should runners choose this one –What makes this race special/unique (I hear there’s a killer lunch afterwards)? This race has a lot of class. It has been said many times to be one best races of the year. We provide an awesome spread of fresh food, refreshments, giveaways, a beautiful course to run, and water stations, which is unheard of for most 5K races. We make the race all about the people who attend it and we are open to changes to make it better for years to come.
10. What color is the shirt (is it a regular cotton T-shirt)? Heather Sapphire is the color of the shirt. It is a Gildan DriFit T-shirt.
11. Where can people sign up? Race registration & information here.
* Is there an upcoming race you’d like to know more about? Post a comment or send me an email with your suggestions.