A few final notes on the Erie Marathon at Presque Isle from race directors, Jan Comi and Mike Vieyra:
It is time to call an end to training and enjoy the next few days before you hit the pavement on Sunday. That reminds me of more good questions that have been generated and answered since the last update. Here are a few of them along with things we might not have mentioned in any of our updates but have mostly covered on our website (www.eriemarathon.org. ) .
• Spectator traffic – the park is fully accessible during the race so spectators can come and go as needed. However, we ask that spectators do not go on the “outer loop” (check out the maps) or try to drive along with their runners.
• Runner Drop-off – yes, we will have a designated runner drop off area across from the Cook House Area (look for signs on Saturday on your way to packet pick-up). Please complete the “U” turn on the main drive before making the drop-off so you don’t hold up traffic.
• When is the race? All events are Sunday: 7:00am Marathon, 7:15am 5k Fun Run/Walk and 7:30am Half marathon & Walk. Respect fellow participants by getting in the proper “pace” corral at the start. Sorry, we don’t have pace groups. (four questions answered with one bullet)
• Lodging available? If you are in a pinch for a room I just got a hotel to commit a block of rooms for us. The motel is very close to the park, a place to sleep and relatively cheap ($55+tax, you get what you pay for): El Patio Motel, 2950 W 8th St, Erie 814-838-9772
• Boston Qualifier? Yes, but it is up to you to have trained and to run the BQ time. Boston registration opens Monday September 17th at 10:00 AM. Yes, we will have race results to them on time.
• How do I find my runner? We do not have the ability to find your runner at any time during the race. Arrangements should be made with your runner/spectator as to when you anticipate finishing and when you plan to pass the Cook House spectator area which is at mile 5.7 and 18.6. Maybe even pick a unique meeting spot for after the race like the swing set, etc…
Ok, enough of that stuff and on to other important topics:
• Parking…come early and follow directions of parking marshals without stopping to ask questions. No parking is allowed along any of the roadways in the park. Parking there presents a danger to runners and generates revenue for the park police.
• Parking lot color – note the color of the glowsticks lighting the way from the parking lot to the start. This color will help us help you find your car after the race. Yes…..it will be dark when you park.
• Weather forecast … it is what it is going to be come race day. Current forecast: 69/57 0% percip
• Awards Ceremony….our intention is to start the Half Marathon awards at 10:00am but some of it depends upon how fast you run/walk. Please stick around for your award or make arrangements for someone to pick it up for you.
• Ride Share Program…..remember to check the sign-up sheet at your hotel. The ride share for the return trip will have a meeting place (sign) in front of the Rotary Pavilion.
• Second Harvest Food Bank – remember to bring a non-perishable item for collection by J. H. Bennett Moving & Storage.
This should be the last update unless we get some really good questions that we feel need to be answered. All previous “updates” can be found under “Latest News” on our website for those who have just recently registered. Also on the website, see FAQ’s for a wealth of information.