The Erie Playhouse has brought back their bloody-fun 5K Zombie Run for 2013, with a slight location change from Frontier Park to Brown’s Farm, which is even creepier and has even more bushes and trees and wild things for the Zombies to hide behind. (Mmwwaahhhh).
You can register to be a runner or a zombie (just $5 to get a professional makeup done by the E.P. makeup folks!). You just need to decide…do you want to chase or be chased?!
This is a really fun event for a worthy cause. And, who better to stage an authentic-looking Zombie Run event than the Erie Playhouse? Just checkout Mike Conway’s GoErie Street View albums from last year’s race: The Making of Zombies and the Zombie 5K run.
Here are all the race details from the Erie Playhouse website:
Join us for the 2nd annual Zombie 5K at Brown’s Farm (Sterrettania Rd./Rt. 832 across from Walnut Creek Middle School). Registration will be open online on August 1.
Click here to register.
* Runner/Zombie $25 includes t-shirt – register by Sept 28 to guarantee a t-shirt.
* Participants must be 12 years old by race day.
* Registration begins at 7:30am/Race time 9:00am
* Click here to view the Course Map
* Runners, Zombies and Spectators will be expected to sign a photo release and waiver upon arrival.
Thank you to our sponsors: WJET/FOX, Star 104
What exactly is this?
A Zombie 5K is a fun race that is 3.1 miles in length. Runners wear flag football belts with two “brain flags” and zombies try to eat their brains (take the flags) along the course. The runner with the most flags and the best time is the Winner. The zombie with the most flags is crowned the “Most Lethal.”
Spectators are welcome.
Rules and Stuff:
Things to leave at home:
3. Bad attitudes
4. Extra stuff that is valuable – we don’t have lockers or a coat check. You will get your t shirt after the race so you don’t have to worry about that.
Things to Bring:
1. $5 cash if you are having your makeup done. (see Zombie Rules)
2. Good attitudes
3. ID for registration
4. Proper attire for the weather
Your objective is to finish the race with your “brain flags” still attached. (It’s just a flag football belt with two flags – but that just doesn’t sound as fun). The winner will be the runner with the best time AND the most “brain flags”.
1. Your flags must be visible throughout the race -not tucked into your clothing, secretly safety pinned or glued; and by all means do not try to smuggle in extra flags.
2. Do not injure the Zombies. They have been instructed to “act” like they will kill you, not actually harm you in any way.
3. Complete the race after you have been “killed”, it’s still fun.
4. Turn in your belt and any flags after the race at the registration table.
Your objective is to dress up like a Zombie and capture as many “brain flags” as you can.
1. No biting – sorry, this includes eating runners’ brains.
2. No hitting
3. No tripping
4. You can only pull one flag at a time. If we see you grab more than one, you will be disqualified. Please don’t touch the runners except for grabbing their flag.
5. You can crawl, sit, climb trees, stumble, roll, whatever, but please don’t put the runners in danger.
6. You can growl, hiss, moan, bark, etc. Acting is strongly encouraged. Please remember the key word –ACTING. We want everyone to have fun and stay safe!
7. If you sign up as a Zombie you must wear makeup. You can do your makeup yourself or choose to have your makeup done by one of our professional makeup artists. The cost is $5 for a basic makeup.
PLEASE BRING CASH – you will pay the makeup artist directly.
8. No fake weapons. No real ones either.
9. Turn in all Brain Flags after the race.
Zombies will be competing for the following titles:
1. Most Lethal (1st & 2nd place) – the zombie who gets the most “brain flags”
2. Best Zombie Costume
Check the weather! We race rain or shine! Dress accordingly.
Consider carpooling. Parking is available but limited. Nothing ruins a fun day like a parking ticket.
Give yourself time! The race begins at 9am sharp. Registration and makeup will begin at 7:30am. Zombies who need makeup should definitely come early!
Make your way to the Runner and Zombie registration tables, get a number and get ready for fun.
Race Day Schedule
7:30am – Registration opens. Registration is located at the picnic pavilion. Proceed to registration tables to receive numbers, belts, and further information.
7:30am – Makeup will be available for zombies.
8:40am – Review of rules for all runners and zombies at starting line.
8:45am – Zombies will disperse and hide along route.
9:00am – Race begins. Air horn #1 will signify beginning of race.
9:05am – Zombies attack. Air horn #2 will signify beginning of attack.
Air horn #3 – will signal the end of the race and call in all zombies.
After the race, proceed to your registration table. Turn in your number, belt, and flags and hang out while we calculate the winners. You will receive your T-Shirt when you check back in. Water will be provided.
The Awards Ceremony will take place at the stage near the registration tables.
Good luck! Have fun! See you there!