The 2nd annual Muddy Viking: Run for Your Life at Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center in nearby Bemus Point, N.Y., is set for Saturday, Oct. 5. Sort of a bummer for me because we totally enjoyed the event last year and were looking forward to doing it again this year, but….it’s the same day/time as the Her Times 5K and, you know, I kinda have to be there since I’m the race director and all. (And, no, I don’t have the Her Times 5K application done yet…working on it…working on it!)
So…for the guys (because if you’re a girl and you’re reading this, I’m going to assume you’re coming to the Her Times race, right? Right? Right?):
The nice thing about this race is that 100% of the proceeds raised go to support Lutheran Charities of Western New York and they do great work all over the world, so…truly, this is a race you can feel good about. Cost is $65 for the adult race and $15 for the Lil’ Vikings kid’s race. Race registration here.
Also, it’s a ton of fun and there’s a great kids’ race, too. The lil’ Vikings will LOVE it.
With 600 runners the first year, we raised over $21,000! The race closed out three weeks before the deadline. So in 2013, we are expanding to 1000 runners plus the kids that run the 1 mile Muddy Lil’ Viking.
Last year, we ended up with 23 obstacles that were natural and man made. This year, we are adding even more. It’s a beautiful 4 mile run through the 160 acres of the camp with an obstacle seemingly every few feet.
A few words of advice for you:
* Other than the lake (which was super cold last year), there is nowhere to change/rinse off, so…
* Wear shoes/socks you can throw away.
* Bring a laundry basket lined with a garbage bag. Peel your clothes off inside out and toss them in the bag. You’re going to need to hose them down when you get home.
* Bring baby wipes — they’re very useful!
* Bring an entire change of clothes (undies, too…trust me…the mud slides can…well…just trust me and bring some extra undies, K?)
* Wear a costume — it’s just more fun that way!
* You can skip any obstacle you want to, but…then what fun would that be.
* These are never, ever about time…so go with the mindset of having fun!
* Read my review from last year’s event here.