Wow! We have over 800 women registered for the Her Times 5K! This is going to be our biggest race yet!!!
A few notes:
* The race is Saturday at 8 a.m. We WILL start on time, so plan accordingly (the park will be down to one-lane of slow moving traffic, so plan accordingly…I’d plan to get there early).
* The race starts & finishes in front of the Rotary Pavilion (between beaches 6 & 8).
* There will be NO parking at the Rotary Pavilion because we need the entire width of the road for the race. If you manage to sneak in…you’re stuck there until 11 a.m. There will be way you can get out before that (without taking out runners). Parking will be available at Beach 6 & Beach 8 (both are about .3 miles from the start).
* Whatever you do…do not park on the road. The rangers will ticket you, no matter how many others are doing it. (Trust me: I’ve seen it happen…just park at Beach 6 or 8 and save yourself some bucks.)
* We are out of shirts. There will be NO shirts for late or day-of-race registrants. As of 3 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 30, the race price was reduced to $15 and the T-shirt option removed. I have no extras. In years past, I have ordered shirts for late/day-of-race registrants and gotten stuck with a lot of shirts (because they don’t pick them up) or a lot of work and expense if I mail them.
* The race goes on snow, shine, rain, or sleet. Trust me…we’ve done it all. Lightening is the only thing that will stop the race…and in that case, we’ll just have a delay until it passses.
* This is the course. (Here’s a written description). It is a loop. Stay on the inside lane at all time…until the road marshals direct you to cross (near the start & finish).
* There will be NO water stop on the course. Please plan accordingly.
* There will be water at the finish line and coffee & refreshments in the Rotary Pavilion after the race.
* Early packet pickup is at Best Fitness (W. 12th Street) on Friday, Oct. 4 from 4 to 7 p.m. These are the only times you can pick up your packets (they won’t be available there before 4 p.m.).
* I anticipate parking could be an issue at Best Fitness for the packet pickup party. Please be patient and kind and…plan to walk a bit, K? (Consider it a warm up!). Carpool if possible.
* You can pickup as many packets for as many friends as you want (all the less for me to lug there on race day morning!). Do me a favor…if you’re going to pick up for a whole bunch of people, email your list of names to me (alphabetical) to hertimes5K at aol.com and I’ll do my very best to try and get them pulled in advance & set aside so that your person only has to say: “I emailed my list & I’m picking up for packets for…”
* There will be no packet pickup at the Erie Times-News this year. They will not have packets, bibs or tshirts.
* If you pick up your packet on Friday, you do not need to check in anywhere on Saturday morning. You just need to be at the start line at 8 a.m. when I say “Go!” (Don’t forget your bib!)
* You MUST have your bib (race number) on and pinned to the front of you. The foamy thing on the bottom is the timing chip…do NOT remove it before the race. We’ll remove it when you’re done.
* You must have a bib number to get results and to be eligible for awards. Please, don’t forget your bib.
* There are restrooms at the Rotary, but not many. I am trying to get porta potties. Do what I do & make a quick stop at McDonald’s on Peninsula Drive or at the Ranger Station to avoid long lines.
* Babysitting is inside the Rotary Pavilion. Racers will not be permitted in there before the race, but you can enter to sign your kids in for babysitting. Babysitting starts at 7:30 a.m. and children must be picked up by 9:30 a.m. A troop of Girl Scouts and their leaders will be babysitting. They typically plan some activities (coloring sheets, etc.), but if your child loves to play games on their iPod or Gameboy…you may want to let them bring it.
* Kids races are informal and they will start about 9:15 or so. This year we will start with the youngest kids first…then move up to the 1/4 mile, then the 1/2 mile, then the 1 mile. Kids can run whatever distance they want. Heck…they can run them all, but we ask that they take only one prize bag so we have enough for everyone (and bear with us if we run out of those, too…sigh…we’re trying!).
* Road marshals will help guide you. They are mostly my family members & friends & friends’ husbands. If you can thank them or smile..that would be great. They’re all volunteers. (As are all the registration folks, finish line folks, kitchen folks).
* There are no separate divisions for run or walk. You can run, walk…or do a combination of both.
* If you are running, you should be COLD at the start. If you are comfortable, you are overdressed.
* If you are walking, you should dress for the weather because you won’t get as heated as the runners.
* If you are going to stay for awards and/or kids races, bring a warm dry shirt/sweatshirt. You will get very chilled after the race when your sweat dries.
* When you finish, run into the “chute” next to the clock. Volunteers will tear the bottom portion of your bib number off.
* Do NOT go back through the finish line once you’ve finished (I.e. if you run in with a slower friend…don’t go through the chute again).
* Volunteers will have HT5K stickers (like OBX stickers) for those who want them. If you’re not really into it, you can pass on the sticker…we can use them next year, too.
* I’ll be honest…I don’t know when I’ll do awards…likely before the kids’ races, though.
* Results will be posted on the Big White Trailer at the finish line within a half hour after the first finishers. They will also be posted online at www.bigwhitetrailer.com, on this blog and at www.erie-runnersclub.org.
* There will NOT be an Ambulance on site.
* Race feedback is welcome at hertimes5K at aol.com.
* Awards are given to the top three overall, the top master and the top three in 5-year age groups. Here’s what you’re running for:
Age group winners age 20 & over will also get a Mason Jar with a pink Recap, created by Erie resident, Karen Rzepecki.