Stephanie Hall Cabelof, front, her mother, Mary Lou Rathers, and son Nick Pompeani, 14, will be raising money for the Achievement Center by participating in the Erie Marathon. Cabelof is running the marathon, her mother is walking the 1/2 marathon and son is running the 5K./ERIE TIMES-NEWS photo
Sunday is the Erie marathon at Presque Isle. Here’s an update on the big event from co-directors, Mike Vieyra & Jan Comi:
Well, all of your training is done and now it is time to rest up for Sunday. The weather forecast is for partly cloudy with a low of 56° and a high of 67°. Our event field is up about 25% – thanks to prior participants for being our marketing department.
A few important points for you:
• Start times are: 7:00 for the marathon, 7:15 for the 5k and 7:30 for the half marathon.
• Undertrained or slightly injured? I can move you to a shorter distance at no charge through midnight Tuesday, September 13th. Email us at Eriemara@yahoo.com .
• Saturday Sept 17th – packet pick-up noon until 7:00 PM. Pasta dinner for only $10 from 4:00 to 7:00 right at packet pick-up.
• Parking – for packet pick-up you can come right to the Rotary Pavilion on Presque Isle State Park. However, on race day, you will be directed to one of two parking areas: Lot 6 or Lot 8. We will have parking marshals directing you, so please just follow their directions. All parking is approximately 0.2 miles from the start. Remember that you will need to be at the park entrance no later than 6:00 AM in order to assure yourself enough time to get parked and to the starting line.
• Spectator areas- the start/finish area along with the Cookhouse area are ideal areas for your family and friends to cheer you on. They can walk between the areas that are only 0.2 miles apart. Viewing from these sites would be at approximately the following mile markers: start, 5.7, 13.1, 18.6 and 26.2.
Refreshments and snacks will be available at the Cookhouse for a small donation to a local charity.
If you know of anybody still interested, they can register on-line at: https://secure.marathonguide.com/register/ErieMarathon/ at a reduced rate compared to the day before or of race day.
On-line registration will remain open through September 13th at midnight.
In other marathon news, there was a nice story in the Erie Times-News today about three generations of one family who are participating in the Erie marathon events — one is doing the marathon, one is doing the 1/2 marathon & one is doing the 5K — and raising money for the Achievement Center in the process.
Read all about this special family(pictured above) here.