Antal has had a strong sophomore season following her outstanding freshman year for the Rockets.
She turned in a pair of second-place individual finishes at this past weekend’s District 10 Class AA championships, losing only to a longtime standout and a freshman sensation.
She placed second in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2 minutes, 18.36 seconds, trailing senior four-time champion Marie Georger of Mercyhurst Prep. Antal also was the runner-up in the 100 breaststroke. She was clocked in a strong time of 1:07.96, but first-year standout Lauren Barber of Wilmington was a little more than a second faster.
Based on her time, Antal has a realistic shot at earning a medal in the PIAA 100 breaststroke, where she is seeded 12th. She’s seeded 28th in the 200 IM.
Regardless of what she does next week, Slippery Rock will have Antal in the pool for two more seasons.
Who is the Breakout Female Swimmer/Diver of the Week?
- Katie Antal, Slippery Rock (28%, 216 Votes)
- Lauren Barber, Wilmington (27%, 209 Votes)
- Marie Georger, Mercyhurst Prep (17%, 129 Votes)
- Hannah Feucht, North East (8%, 62 Votes)
- Rylee Klomp, Mercyhurst Prep (7%, 56 Votes)
- Carolyn Eckendorf, Fairview (5%, 40 Votes)
- Emma Swabb, McDowell (4%, 28 Votes)
- Shanen Lazenby, McDowell (4%, 24 Votes)
Total Voters: 763