Brody Mangel has been one of the key contributors in helping Union City bounce back from an 0-2 start and a shortage of players.
Mangel, a 6-foot 1-inch, 175-pound sophomore quarterback, showed his diverse skills Friday in the Bears’ 38-14 victory over Youngsville.
Mangel finished with 171 total yards and had a hand in three touchdowns as the Bears improved to 3-3 overall and 3-2 in Region 2. He completed 4-of-7 passes for 88 yards and a touchdown, and he added 83 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 13 carries.
Mangel helped Union City take a 6-0 lead early in the second quarter when he completed a 20-yard touchdown pass to Josh Rienke. Mangel added a 5-yard touchdown run late in the first half and scored on a 21-yard run in the third quarter.
Mangel has completed 18-of-35 passes for 312 yards and six touchdowns this season. He’s also rushed for 278 yards and three touchdowns.
He is the second consecutive Union City player to win the Breakout Award online voting. Reinke won the award a week ago.
Who is the Breakout Football Player of the Week?
- Brody Mangel, Union City (25%, 361 Votes)
- Delton Williams, Cathedral Prep (14%, 198 Votes)
- Grant Panko, Northwestern (8%, 117 Votes)
- Jared Carlson, Strong Vincent (6%, 95 Votes)
- Cornelius Barclay, Mercyhurst Prep (6%, 95 Votes)
- Rocky Owens, North East (5%, 79 Votes)
- Kendall Bonnett, Girard (4%, 63 Votes)
- Artrel Foster, Meadville (4%, 62 Votes)
- Shannon Jackson, Fairview (4%, 61 Votes)
- Quinn Thompson, General McLane (4%, 53 Votes)
- Nate Smith, Corry (3%, 50 Votes)
- Chad Eisenhooth, Cochranton (3%, 40 Votes)
- Elijah Anderton, Conneaut (3%, 39 Votes)
- DeShawn Coleman, Hickory (3%, 38 Votes)
- Aaron Lundmark, Eisenhower (2%, 27 Votes)
- Tyler Luchey, Sharpsville (1%, 19 Votes)
- Tyler Donati, Wilmington (1%, 16 Votes)
- Ryan Currie, Slippery Rock (1%, 15 Votes)
- Trey Staunch, West Middlesex (1%, 14 Votes)
- Chad Williams, Grove City (1%, 9 Votes)
- Matt Yurkewicz, Bradford (0%, 7 Votes)
- Jonell Goudy, Farrell (1%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,464