Results from Friday’s Northwest Region Class AA wrestling tournament at Sharon High School. The top three wrestlers in each weight class after Saturday’s consolation and championship finals will advance to the PIAA AA tournament, scheduled March 7-9 at the Giant Center in Hershey:
– Mike Copper
Wrestling results from Friday’s Northwest Region Class AA tournament at Sharon High School. The top three wrestlers in each division will advance to the PIAA AA tournament, scheduled March 7-9 at the Giant Center in Hershey:
Team standings: 1. Reynolds (Rey) 42, 2. Brookville (Bv) 33, 3. Saegertown (Sae) 29, 4. (tie) Fort LeBoeuf (FL) and Redbank Valley (RV) 24, 6. Cochranton (Coc) 23, 7. Port Allegany (PA) 16, 8. (tie) Coudersport (Coud) and Seneca (Sen) 14, 10. Conneaut (Conn) 13, 11. Smethport (Semth) 12½, 12. (tie) Kane (K) and Sharon (Sh) 11½, 14. (tie) Franklin (Fr), Grove City (GC), Slippery Rock (SR) and Union City (UC) 11, 18. (tie) Corry (Cy) and Greenville (Gv) 9.
Other schools: Brockway (Bway), Cameron County (CC), Clarion (Clar), Cranberry (Cran), Curwensville (Cur), Fort LeBoeuf (FL), Franklin (Fr), Hickory (H), Jamestown (J), Johnsonburg (John), Kane (K), Keystone (Key), Lakeview (Lv), Maplewood (Mw), Mercer (M), North East (NE), Northwestern (Nw), Oswayo Valley (OV), Port Allegany (PA), Ridgway (Rid), Sharpsville (Sv), Sheffield (Sheff), West Middlesex (WM), Youngsville (Y).
106 pounds: Evan Clayton (Lv) d Faris Messai (J) 12-6; Ryan Carlson (Bway) d Jase Paxton (Gv) 5-4.
113: Bingbong Elizon (Sae) md Nate Kline (Coc) 10-2; Logan Gray (NE) md Nick Baghman (Key) 12-1.
120: Dave Huselton (SR) md Ricky Prosen (Sheff) 8-0; Cyle Yaple (Sen) d Daniel Simmerman (Mw) 6-4.
126: Kyle Lukowich (Conn) p Dustin Tomcho (UC) 1:39; Jared Morrison (Coc) d Jack Glasl (Bway) 4-2.
132: Zak Dennis (Mw) p Zach Fitzsimmons (OV) 3:06; Luke Walter (GC) md Mack Heitzenrater (HC) 11-2.
138: Matt Leise (Rey) d Jacob Abrams (Smeth) 5-3; Rodney Brant (M) p Seth Thurber (J) 1:04.
145: Trey Maher (GC) p Trey McKenzie (Cur) 3:20; Taylor Ellis (Conn) d Louie Head (E) 14-11.
152: Jimmy Miller (Bv) d Caleb Peterson (Coc) 7-6; Chet Simoni (GC) d Sebastian Rinehardt (Nw) 4-3.
160: Logan Warnick (PA) p Andrew Boylan (Sae) :53; Mike Millero (Rey) d Gage Gladysz (Gv) 3-1 OT.
170: Zach Miller (Gv) p Taylor Saline (CC) 1:54; Chris Matthews (Fr) p Marquis Spence (Lv) :34.
182: Joe Hines (H) p Stone Sivak (Y) 3:45; Forest Tuttle (Coud) md Isaiah Stearns (Mw) 12-0.
195: Dan Geer (Fr) d Jason Shappee (J) 8-2; Cody Hughes (Sv) d Zach Sintobin (Clar) 9-6.
220: Jaykup Durlin (Y) p Ryan Cardman (Fv) 2:45; Tim Suydan (Cy) d Nate Rodgers (OV) 5-4.
285: Gene Ringer (Rey) d Kaleb Robertson (Sv) 2-1; Ben Carillo (RV) d Braden Gladysz (Gv) 3-2.
106 pounds: Taylor Ortz (Bv) p Clayton 1:31; Seth Hogue (Rey) p Sam Bressler (Cur) 3:47; Isaac Bengel (FL) d Casey Vollmer (PA) 6-2; Devin Brown (Sae) md Carlson 10-2.
113: Cody Blankenship (K) p Elizon 2:49; Cole Aaron (Bv) d Cody Buchanan (Sh) 9-3; Willis Gruver (RV) md Jarrett Carter (FL) 9-0; Mike Bartolo (Rey) d Gray 5-3.
120: Tyler Vath (Sae) p Huselton 1:35; Tyler Kuzma (FL) by default; Matt Wheeler (Nw) d Brandon Saline (CC) 4-0; Trent Neely (Smeth) p Yaple 4:13.
126: Lukowich p Jake Lancaster (Cur) 1:57; Brett Himes (Rid) d Mason McCollum (Rey) 3-1; Nick Monico (Sae) d Mitch Blose (RV) 5-2; Jarray Norris (Sh) p Morrison 1:32.
132: Adam Fish (Sen) md Dennis 9-0; Cam Cianci (Rey) d Alex Zimmerman (John) 15-11; Dalton Zimmerman (Bv) p Gavin Kroesen (WM) 3:33; Karl Lightner (Smeth) d Walter 7-2.
138: Michael Bonner (Sh) tf Leise 21-6 4:58; Cody Bova (Coud) d Chris Hibbler (Sen) 7-5; Matt Humes (Sae) d Darren Brown (K) 7-3; Brock Zacherl (Bv) p Brant 1:48.
145: Levi Stoyer (Rey) md Maher 12-0; Ty Haines (RV) d Brad Malinowski (FL) 3-0; Robert Boozer (Coc) p Zac McKnight (Rid) 3:49; Zach Vroman (Bv) d Ellis 7-1.
152: Austin Matthews (Rey) md Miller 12-0; Taylor Harrington (FL) d Samuel Colebert (OV) 6-5; Sam Kysor (PA) d Blake Horne (Gv) 5-3; Kyle Bova (Coud) md Simoni 20-9.
160: Taylor Fox (FL) d Warnick 5-0; Cole Shirey (FL) md Ben BuCher (Sv) 14-4; Brodie Zacherl (Bv) d Ryan Northcott (Coc) 2-0; Evan Delong (K) tf Millero 19-4 4:30.
170: Tim Vargo (UC) md Miller 17-6; Alexander Gular (PA) d Shane Taubert (Cy) 5-2; Austin Andrews (Coc) md Brandon Bailey (RV) 14-2; Matthews d Anthony Benson (Bway) 2-1.
182: Aaron Hook (RV) d Hines 7-3; Jamar Henry (Rey) by default; Zachary Bruce (Cran) d Justin Reynolds (Gv) 6-4; Dylan Reynolds (Sae) md Tuttle 11-3.
195: Jake Wichert (OV) p Geer 1:28; Ryan Morris (Cy) p Nate Moore (K) 2:27; Jake Johnson (E) d Taylor Cudworth (Bv) 9-2; Trevor Beiter (Sen) d Hughes 5-1.
220: Durlin p Cal Haines (RV) 1:46; Cam Cyphert (Coc) p Trent Neal (PA) 1:20; Logan Rickert (Rey) md Matthew Baugher (Cran) 11-0; Evan Daley (FL) p Suydan 1:59.
285: Nicholas Budd (PA) d Ringer 2-1; Jeff Burger (UC) p Jack Karsten (CC) 4:52; Sam Breese (Lv) p Dylan Dinch (Smeth) 1:03; Forrest Christmann (SR) p Carillo 1:22.
106 pounds: Messai d Carlson 7-6; Vollmer bye; Bressler bye; Paxton d Clayton 8-5.
113: Gray p Kline 2:50; Carter bye; Buchanan bye; Elizon d Baughman 6-3.
120: Yaple p Prosen 3:50; Saline bye; Huselton md Simmerman 8-0.
126: Morrison d Tomcho 7-0; Blose bye; McCollum bye; Glasl p Lancaster 2:14.
132: Walter d Fitzsimmons 6-1; Kroesen bye; Zimmerman bye; Dennis p Heitzenrater 1:11.
138: Abrams p Brant 2:58; Brown bye; Hibbler bye; Thurber p Leise 3:50.
145: Ellis p McKenzie 4:08; McKnight bye; Malinowski bye; Maher d Head 8-5.
152: Peterson p Simoni 4:43; Horne bye; Colebert bye; Miller d Rinehardt 5-1.
160: Millero d Boylan 5-3; Northcott bye; BuCher bye; Gladysz p Warnick 3:20.
170: Benson tf Saline 18-2 4:06; Bailey bye; Taubert bye; Miller d Spence 10-5.
182: Tuttle md Sivak 14-0; J.Reynolds bye; Hines md Stearns 14-2.
195: Hughes d Shappee 11-6; Cudworth bye; Moore bye; Geer p Sintobin 4:29.
220: Suydan d Cardman 4-2; Baugher bye; Neal bye; Haines p Rodgers 4:43.
285: Carillo d Robertson 5-2; Dinch bye; Karsten bye; Ringer d Gladysz 3-2 UTB.
* The Northwest Region Class AA meet will resume Saturday at 9 a.m.
* Friday’s best match was its last one, as Reynolds’ Gene Ringer eliminates Greenville rival Braden Gladysz 3-2 in an ultimate tiebreaker.
* Consy winners at 195 pounds are Sharpsville’s Cody Hughes and Dan Geer of Franklin.
* Hickory’s Joe Hines advances in the 182-pound consy bracket.
* Advancing in the 160 consy bracket are Mike Millero of Reynolds and Gage Gladysz of Greenville.
* Grove City’s Trey Maher stayed alive in the 145-pound consy bracket with his 100th career victory, eliminating Eisenhower’s Louie Head 8-5.
* Seneca’s Cyle Yaple is still alive in the 120-pound consy bracket.
* Still alive in the consolation brackets from Erie County is Logan Gray at 113 pounds.
* Union City’s Jeff Burger, who trailed Cameron County’s Jack Karsten in the third period of their heavyweight quarterfinal, ended up pinning the District 9 third seed at 4:52. Saturday’s other 285 semifinal will pit Lakeview’s Sam Breese against Slippery Rock’s Forrest Christmann.
* District 10 sweeps the semifinal berths at 220 pounds. Youngsville’s Jaykup Durlin will face Cochranton’s Cam Cyphert, while Reynolds’ Logan Rickert draws Fort LeBoeuf star Evan Daley.
* District 10 claims three of the four semifinal berths at 195. Corry’s Ryan Morris is in the top half, while Eisenhower’s Jake Johnson will face Seneca’s Trevor Beiter.
* District 10 semifinalists at 182 pounds are Jamar Henry of Reynolds and Dylan Reynolds of Saegertown, who recorded an 11-3 major decision over Coudersport’s Forest Tuttle.
* Tim Vargo shows why he’s bracketed as the favorite at 170 pounds with a 17-6 major decision over Greenville’s Zach Miller. He’ll take on Port Allegany’s Alexander Gular in Saturday morning’s semifinals.
* Taylor Fox of Fort LeBoeuf blanks Port Allegany’s Logan Warnick 5-0 in his 160-pound quarterfinal. Fox will meet Redbank Valley’s Cole Shirey in Saturday’s semifinals.
* Taylor Harrington of Fort LeBoeuf gets by Oswayo Valley’s Samuel Colebert 6-5 in the 152-pound quarterfinals. He’ll have to get by 2012 PIAA AA finalist Austin Matthews of Reynolds if he wants to wrestle for the title.
* Reynolds’ Levi Stoyer, bracketed as the favorite at 145 pounds, needs overtime to advance to the semis with a 4-2 decision over Grove City’s Trey Maher. Cochranton’s Robert Boozer advances in the bottom half of the bracket.
* After a 15-minute intermission, Sharon’s Michael Bonner and Saegertown’s Matt Humes advance to the 138-pound semifinals.
* We’re in a 15-minute intermission here at Sharon. Matches will resume with the 152-pound quarterfinals.
* Seneca’s Adam Fish, bracketed as the favorite at 132 pounds, blanks Maplewood’s Zak Dennis 9-0 in his first match, a quaterfinal.
* Advancing to the semis at 120 pounds are Saegertown’s Tyler Vath, Tyler Kuzma of Fort LeBoeuf and Northwestern’s Matt Wheeler.
* Reynolds’ Mike Bartolo is a District 10 semifinalist at 113 pounds.
* Fort LeBoeuf’s Isaac Bengel and Saegertown star Devin Brown will meet in one 106-pound championship semifinal thanks to their quarterfinal victories.
* Heavyweight Gene Ringer of Reynolds closes out the District 10 winners in the first round of the championship brackets.
* Winners at 220 pounds are Youngsville’s Jaykup Durlin and Corry’s Tim Suydan.
* District 10 advances two at 195 pounds in Franklin’s Dan Geer and Cody Hughes of Sharpsville.
* Hickory senior Joe Hines pins Youngsville’s Stone Sivak at 3:45 of their 182-pound first rounder.
* District 10 winners at 170 pounds are Greenville’s Zach Miller and Chris Matthews of Franklin.
* Reynolds’ Mike Millero records a takedown in overtime for a 3-1 decision over Greenville rival Gage Gladysz at 160 pounds.
* Grove City’s Chet Simoni edges Northwestern’s Sebastian Rinehardt 4-3 at 152 pounds. Brookville’s Jimmy Miller also wins.
* Conneaut’s Taylor Ellis wins a wild 14-11 decision over Eisnehower’s Louie Head at 145 pounds.
* Mercer County advances two at 138 pounds in Matt Leise of Reynolds and Rodney Brant of Mercer.
* Winners at 132 pounds are Zak Dennis of Maplewood and Luke Walter of Grove City.
* Incorrect announcement at 126 pounds. Conneaut’s Kyle Lukowich, not Union City’s Dustin Tomcho, won by fall. Tomcho into the consolation bracket.
* Seneca’s Cyle Yaple will face Smethport’s Cam Neely in the 120 quarters thanks to his 6-4 decision over Maplewood’s Daniel Simmerman.
* Logan Gray, North East’s lone representative, dominates Keystone’s Nick Baughman 12-1 in a 113-pound first rounder.
* First to advance out of the championship first rounds are Lakeview’s Evan Clayton and Ryan Carlson of Brockway at 106 pounds.
* Finally, at 182 pounds, Jamar Henry of Reynolds is already into the championship semifinals with the absence of Keystone’s Brandon Chambers.
* At 160 pounds, District 10′s fifth seed is now Andrew Boylan of Segertown and Greenville’s Gage Gladysz the sixth seed.
* At 152 pounds, Sebastian Rinehardt of Northwestern is now District 10′s sixth seed. He replaced Franklin’s Dakota Geer.
* At 132 pounds, District 10′s seeds are now Seneca’s Adam Fish (first), Gavin Kroesen of West Middlesex (second), Cam Cianci of Reynolds (third), Luke Walter of Grove City (fourth), Maplewood’s Zak Dennis (fifth) and Mack Heitzenrater of Harbor Creek (sixth).
* At 120 pounds, Fort LeBoeuf’s Tyler Kuzma is already assured a championship semifinal berth. He was supposed to face Brockway’s Mason Lindenmuth in the quarterfinals.
* There are already massive changes to the brackets because of injuries or wrestlers not making weight.