Updates from Saturday’s Northwest Region Class AA wrestling tournament at Sharon High School. The top three wrestlers in each division will advance to the PIAA AA tournament, scheduled March 7-9 at the Giant Center in Hershey:
– Mike Copper
* Your final Northwest Region champions are Corry’s Ryan Morris at 195, Cochranton’s Cam Cyphert at 220 and Lakeview’s Sam Breese at heavyweight.
* Dylan Reynolds gives Saegertown three region champions. The Panthers sophomore decisions Reynolds’ Jamar Henry 7-2 for 182-pound honors.
* Kane’s Evan Delong decisions Fort LeBoeuf’s Taylor Fox 5-3 in the 160 final, followed by Tim Vargo’s 4:25 pin of Franklin’s Chris Matthews for the 170 title. Vargo is one of two Union City entrants who qualified for states.
* Reynolds star Austin Matthews becomes a rare four-time Northwest Region champion with his 18-6 major decision over Coudersport’s Kyle Bova in the 152-pound title match.
* Levi Stoyer’s third-period escape point is the difference for the Reynolds middleweight in his 3-2 victory over Cochranton’s Robert Boozer. The 145-pound finalists each qualified for action in that same weight class at Hershey.
* Brookville’s Brock Zacherl ruins the last home match for Sharon’s Michael Bonner with his 10-8 overtime decision in the 138-pound final. Zacherl got the winning points with 17 seconds left in the extra minute.
* Smethport’s Karl Lightner remains perfect at 31-0 via his 17-5 major decision over Seneca freshman Adam Fish. Those 132-pound finalists will advance to the PIAA meet.
* Sharon’s Jarray Norris (126) joins Saegertown’s Tyler Vath as a two-time region victor thanks to his 6-1 win over Conneaut’s Kyle Lukowich.
* Saegertown’s Tyler Vath records takedowns in each period for a 9-1 major decision over Smethport’s Trent Neely in the 120-pound final. Vath (43-4) is now a two-time region champion.
* Redbank Valley’s Willis Gruver wins an all-District 9 matchup in the 113-pound final, doubling up Kane’s Cody Blankenship 4-2.
* Saegertown’s Devin Brown becomes the Northwest Region AA meet’s first champion. The Panthers sophomore beats Brookville’s Taylor Ortz for the third time this season via a 9-1 major decision at 106 pounds.
* The championship matches are expected to start around 5:30 p.m.
* The consolation finals conclude with Port Allegany heavyweight Nicholas Budd winning his 100th career match with a 2-1 overtime decision over Slippery Rock’s Forrest Christmann.
* If it’s possible for a 1-0 decision to be exciting, this match was it. Youngsville’s Jaykup Durlin eliminates Reynolds’ Logan Rickert by that defensive score at 220 pounts to become Warren County’s second wrestler to advance to states.
* An enthusiastic Trevor Beiter becomes Seneca’s second representative at Hershey. The Bobcats senior records two takedowns in the final 46 seconds of his 195-pound consolation final against Oswayo Valley’s Jake Wichert for a 9-4 victory* Aaron Hook of Redbank Valley ends the scholastic wrestling career of Hickory’s Joe Hines with a 3-0 decision in the 182-pound consolation final
* A dramatic match at 170. Seconds after Cochranton’s Austin Andrews recorded a go-ahead reversal, Port Allegany’s Alexander Gular does the same with 2 seconds left in regulation for a 4-3 victory that sends him to Hershey.
* A marathon match in the 160-pound consolation final sends Redbank Valley’s Cole Shirey to states with a 2-1 ultimate tiebreaker over Brookville’s Brodie Zacherl.
* Taylor Harrington (152) will join Fort LeBoeuf teammates Taylor Fox and Evan Daley at Hershey thanks to his 5-2 decision over Oswayo Valley’s Samuel Colebert.
* A great match at 145, where Brookville’s Zach Vroman advances to Hershey with a 3-1 overtime decision over Redbank Valley’s Ty Haines.
* Saegertown’s list of PIAA entrants grows to five. The Panthers’ Matt Humes advances at 138 pounds with a 2-1 decision over Coudersport’s Cody Bova. Humes recorded his only points with 55 seconds left.
* Remarkably, three straight shutouts in the consolation finals. The latest is by Brookville’s Dalton Zimmerman, who eliminated Grove City’s Luke Walter 3-0 at 132.
* Consecutive shutouts in the consolation finals thanks to Saegertown’s Nick Monico, who blanked Ridgway’s Brett Himes 6-0 at 126. District 10 has won the first four third-place matches.
* Northwestern’s Matt Wheeler made a second-period takedown hold up, as he advanced to Hershey with a 2-0 decision over Fort LeBoeuf’s Tyler Kuzma in the 120-pound consolation final.
* Mike Bartolo of Reynolds turns a third-period cradle into a 4:35 pin of Brookville’s Cole Aaron. He advances to states in the 113-pound bracket.
* Reynolds’ Seth Hogue controls the last two periods of his 106-pound consolation final for a 5-2 decision over Greenville’s Jase Paxton.
* The consolation finals are under way with the 106-pound match between Reynolds’ Seth Hogue and Jase Paxton of rival Greenville.
* Rounding out the District 10 wrestlers who advanced to the consolation finals are Hickory’s Joe Hines (182), Seneca’s Trevor Beiter (195), Youngsville’s Jaykup Durlin and Reynolds’ Logan Rickert (220), and heavyweight Forrest Christmann of Slippery Rock.
* Cochranton senior Austin Andrews keeps his scholastic wrestling career active with a 7-1 decision over Greenville’s Zach Miller in the 170-pound consolation semifinals.
* District 9 is on a run as far as third-place finalists. Redbank Valley’s Cole Shirey and Brookville’s Brodie Zacherl advance at 160 pounds.
* Fort LeBoeuf’s Taylor Harrington, a 9-3 victor over Cochranton’s Caleb Peterson at 152 pounds, will take on Samuel Colebert of Oswayo Valley for third place in that weight class.
* District 9 gets the best of District 10 in the 145-pound consolation semifinals. Redbank Valley’s Ty Haines elimiantes Conneaut’s Taylor Ellis 13-4, as does Brookville’s Zach Vroman with a 5-1 decision over Fort LeBoeuf’s Brad Malinowski.
* The 138-pound consolation semifinals finish seconds apart, with each going overtime. Vying for third place and a trip to Hershey are Coudersport’s Cody Bova and Matt Humes of Saegertown.
* Grove City’s Luke Walter eliminates Reynolds’ Cam Cianci 8-5 in the 132-pound consolation semifinals.
* Saegertown’s Nick Monico will clash with Ridgway’s Brett Himes for the third and final state berth out of the 126-pound bracket.
* It will be an all-Erie County consy final at 120 pounds thanks to victories by Fort LeBoeuf’s Tyler Kuzma and Matt Wheeler of Northwestern.
* Another Reynolds wrestler stays alive in the consy brackets, as Mike Bartolo eliminates Sharon’s Cody Buchanan 3-1 at 113. Fort LeBoeuf’s Jarrett Carter sees his freshman season conclude in the other semifinal.
* Competing for third place at 106 pounds will be Reynolds’ Seth Hogue and Jase Paxton of rival Greenville.
* The consolation semifinals started around 12:20 p.m.
* The meet is at an intermission, with the consolation semifinals expected to start around 12: 15 p.m.
* Union City’s Jeff Burger records a mini-upset, knocking Port Allegany’s Nicholas Budd from the unbeaten ranks with his 4-1 decision in the heavyweight semifinals.
* The 220-pound final will feature the latest match between soon-to-be Clarion University teammates, Cochranton’s Cam Cyphert and Fort LeBoeuf’s Evan Daley.
* Corry advances its first wrestler to the AA portion of the state tournament since 1988. The Beavers’ Ryan Morris clinched a state berth by pinning Oswayo Valley’s Jake Wichert at 3:22 of their 195-pound championship semifinal.
* Dylan Reynolds of Saegertown will meet Jamar Henry of Reynolds for the 182-pound championship.
* Erie County wrestlers who advanced to championship finals are Fort LeBoeuf’s Taylor Fox at 160 pounds and Tim Vargo of Union City at 170. Fox meets Kane’s Evan Delong in his final, while Vargo draws Franklin’s Chris Matthews.
* Austin Matthews of Reynolds is one match away from becoming a four-time region champ. Matthews improved to 44-1 with a 6-3 decision over Fort LeBoeuf’s Taylor Harrington in the 152-pound semifinals.
* Cochranton’s Robert Boozer wins the day’s most dramatic match so far with a 4-3 triple-overtime victory against Brookville’s Zach Vroman in the 145-pound semifinals.
* Sharon’s Michael Bonner advances to the 138-pound championship final, while Seneca’s Chris Hibbler stays alive in the division’s consolation bracket.
* Erie County has its first PIAA AA tournament entrant in Adam Fish. The Seneca freshman advanced to the region’s 132-pound championship final with an 8-2 decision over Cam Cianci of Reynolds, and will next face undefeated Karl Lightner of Smethport (30-0).
* Kyle Lukowich of the new Conneaut wrestling program becomes its first PIAA participant. The Eagles junior decisioned Ridgway’s Brett Himes 5-3 in the 126-pound semifinals and will face Jarray Norris of the host Sharon Tigers.
* Saegertown has its second championship finalist in Tyler Vath, who edged Fort LeBoeuf’s Tyler Kuzma 2-1 in a 120-pound semifinal.
* Seneca’s Cyle Yaple keeps his senior season alive with a 4-1 decision over Brandon Saline of Cameron County in the 120-pound consolation finals.
* Advancing in the 113-pound consolation bracket from District 10 are Fort LeBoeuf’s Jarrett Carter and Sharon’s Cody Buchanan.
* Jamestown’s Faris Messai and Jase Paxton of Greenville advance in the 106-pound consolation bracket.
* The region has its first PIAA tournament participants, as Brookville’s Taylor Ortz and Saegertown’s Devin Brown advance to the 106-pound finals.
* We’ll have a late start here at Sharon. Matches were supposed to start at 9 a.m.