Updates from Wednesday’s District 10 girls doubles tennis tournament at Pennbriar Athletic Club. The champions will advance to the PIAA tournament, scheduled Nov. 1-2 at the Hershey Racquet Club.
Earlier updates will appear in the previous entry section.
– Mike Copper
* For the fourth and final time in their scholastic careers, Mercyhurst Prep’s Katie Elia and Brittany McBride are District 10 Class AA champions in doubles. They rally for a 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory over teammates Caitlyn Schultz and Taylor Levinson.
* Elia-McBride break serve for 3-2.
*Schultz-Levinson serving at 2-2.
* Elia-McBride serving at 1-2.
* Schultz-Levinson hold to open the third.
* We will have a third and deciding set for the District 10 Class AA double title. Katie Elia and Brittany McBride broke Caitlyn Schultz and Taylor Levinson late in the second set for a 6-3 win that even the players’ best-of-three match.
* Schultz and Levinson convincingly won the first set 6-1. They’re on serve at 2-3 in the second.
* Mercyhurst Prep’s Katie Elia and Brittany McBride will play for their fourth consecutive District 10 Class AA doubles title when their final against teammates Caitlyn Schultz and Taylor Levinson starts at 3:10 p.m. Elia and McBride staved off a game effort by General McLane’s Logan Welch and Linsey Sipple for a 7-5, 6-2 win.
* Caitlyn Schultz and Taylor Levinson advance to the AA championship match from the all-Mercyhurst semifinal. They beat teammates Nicole Freeman and Audrey Bell 6-1, 6-1.
* Elia and McBride up 4-1 in the second set.
* Elia and McBride break late for a 7-5 win in the first set of their AA semifinal against McLane’s Logan Welch and Linsey Sipple.
* General McLane’s Logan Welch and Linsey Sipple are giving Mercyhurst Prep top seeds Katie Elia and Brittany McBride a match in their AA semifinal. McLane serving at 4-5 in the first set.
* McDowell’s Larissa Chen and Lauren Fadden have won the 2013 District 10 Class AAA doubles championship with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over teammates Rachel Dougherty and Mirela Jojic.
* McDowell’s Larissa Chen and Lauren Fadden win the first set of the AAA final by a 6-1 score.
* Mercyhurst Prep II (Schultz and Levinson) complete the AA semifinalists.
* General McLane I and Mercyhurst Prep III into the AAA semifinals.
* The AA second round is completed with an 8-1 win for Mercyhurst Prep II (Schultz and Levinson).
* Into the AA semifinals are Mercyhurst Prep I (Elia and McBride). Into the AA quarterfinals are Fairview I (Matczak and Gleason).
* The AA first round is finally completed. Greenville I’s Brooke Marini and Casslyn Holder outlasted Franklin I’s Mimi Terman and Lexi Weaver in a 9-8 pro set that lasted roughly 90 minutes.
* Advancing to the AA quarterfinals are the Hickory I and Kennedy Catholic I teams, each of which are seeded.
* The 1 p.m. AAA final will pit McDowell I (Larissa Chen and Lauren Fadden) against McDowell II (Rachel Dougherty and Mirela Jojic).
* Tournament director Andy Findlay has officially scheduled the AAA final to start at 1 p.m.
* Now into the AA quarters are General McLane I (Welch-L. Sipple) and Mercyhurst Prep III (Freeman-Bell).
* The first AA quarterfinal is set, with Mercyhurst Prep I (Elia-McBride) to face Fairview II (Sertz-Ace).
* The first finalists are known, as McDowell I’s Larissa Chen and Lauren Fadden won 6-0, 6-0 over Central Tech’s Elena Prenovitz and Molly Adams in the AAA semifinals.
* Seven of the eight AA seeds advanced to the second round, with Fairview II’s 8-4 victory over No. 5 Grove City II the only upset. Those Tigers were Shannon Sertz and Stephanie Ace.
* Also into the second round are No. 2 Mercyhurst Prep II (Caitlyn Schultz and Taylor Levinson) with an 8-0 victory over Villa Maria I’s Abigail Hallman and Toria Mayer.
* Seventh-seeded Fairview I (Amy Matczak and Erin Gleason) advanced to the second round with an 8-0 shutout of Grove City III’s Morgan McCommon and Lauren Steele.
* The AAA semifinals have been called to the courts.
* The General McLane II tandem of Erin Sipple and Kayla Eeg advance to the second round.
* The top half of the AA bracket is completed for the first round, with No. 6 Hickory I (Marissa Works and Lauren McGonigle) eliminating the Grove City II team.
* Mercyhurst Prep’s Katie Elia and Brittany McBride are one match closer to becoming four-time District 10 AA champs
* The Central Tech I team of Elena Prenovitz and Molly Adams advance to the AAA semifinals.
* No. 2 seeds Rachel Dougherty and Mirela Jojic blanked Central Tech III’s Maryana Omelchenko and Anjanique Clark 8-0 in the first AAA quarterfinal to finish.
* The lone AAA pigtail match is done, with Central Tech II’s Jo Allie Paluchak and Angelee Eller advancing to the quarterfinals against McDowell top seeds Larissa Chen and Lauren Fadden.
* The first AA seeded team has advanced as No. 3 General McLane I (Logan Welch-Linsey Sipple) beat Warren I’s Corie Eckman and Alexis Vavala 8-4.
* The Villa Maria III team of freshmen Natalie Bird and Julia Horstman complete a sweep of initial matches for the Victors’ three entries.
* Villa Maria teams sweep the two Class AA preliminary round matches.
* As expected, the Class AA top-seeded team will be three-time defending champions Katie Elia and Brittany McBride of Mercyhurst Prep.
* Other new pairings in AAA are with Central Tech’s three duos. Elena Prenovitz will remain with Molly Adams, but Jo Allie Paluchak is now with Angelee Eller and Maryana Omelchenko with Anjanique Clark.
* Chen and Fadden are seeded first in the AAA tournament, with Dougherty and Jojic second.
* There’s a major change in McDowell’s pairings. Coach Richard Beck has split up 2012 Class AAA champs Larissa Chen and Rachel Dougherty. Chen will be paired with freshman Lauren Fadden, while Dougherty will play with Mirela Jojic.