The high school football season is winding down and with only three games left, the playoff races are heating up. Here’s a look at the top 5 football games to check out tonight around District 10:
1. Sharpsville at Lakeview - Lakeview is in the driver’s seat in Region 1. The Sailors just need to beat Sharpsville and West Middlesex to claim the Region 1 title. Blake Reddick is chasing history as he is less than 1,000 yards from becoming the all-time District 10 rusher. Plenty of intrigue in this game as Sharpsville keeps improving each week and is fighting for a playoff spot.
2. Fairview at Fort LeBoeuf – Region 4 will get very interesting over the final two weeks. The four playoff teams look like they’ve been decided but getting a top two spot means the difference in playing near home in the District 10 Class AA quarterfinals and likely missing Greenville and Hickory. The Fairview-Fort LeBoeuf winner stays in second place and likely only one game back of Northwestern in the region race.
3. Wilmington at Sharon – This could turn out to be an elimination game. After Greenville and Hickory, there is a three-way tie between Wilmington, Sharon and Grove City. The loser tonight would be in a big hole going into next week’s final region game. Sharon has Grove City and Wilmington plays Greenville in Week 9.
4. Greenville at Reynolds – Perfect trap game for Greenville. The Trojans are coming off an emotionally-charged 14-13 win over Northwestern and have a big game with Wilmington next week. Add in Reynolds is a tough team to play at home and is still clinging to a small playoff hope.
5. Strong Vincent at General McLane – Despite all of Strong Vincent’s struggles this season, the Colonels are still in the playoff race. A loss would guarantee a losing season for Strong Vincent and the Colonels would likely be out of the playoff race. General McLane is playing well and a win over Strong Vincent would all but officially clinch a playoff spot.
•Maplewood volleyball coach Sheila Bancroft sent over the Maplewood Invitational information on Thursday morning. The tournament, which will take place Saturday, is absolutely loaded with District 10 powerhouses. Pool A contains Maplewood, Titusville, Cochranton, Grove City, General McLane and McDowell. Pool B has Cambridge Springs, Meadville, Fort LeBoeuf, Corry, Wilmington and Bradford. Almost all 12 teams are headed to the postseason this fall. There are several big matchups in pool play but the one I am anxiously awaiting is Corry vs. Fort LeBoeuf in the second round of matches.
•The Wilmington girls soccer team earned a share of the Region 1 title with a 2-0 win over Mercer Thursday. Mercer and Wilmington finished as co-champions and District 10 will sort out which team gets the automatic spot and close home match and which team has to travel to Erie.
•The Hickory girls soccer team locked up the Region 2 title with a 10-2 win over Slippery Rock. The Hornets will have one of the top seeds in the District 10 Class AA playoffs.
•The Seneca girls soccer team clinched a share of the Region 3 title and only need a win over Conneaut Monday to win the region outright.
•Harbor Creek shut out Girard 4-0 Thursday to finish as co-champions of Region 5 with Fort LeBoeuf. The two powerhouses were scheduled to play a seed match next week but after some brush back, that match has been canceled. Who knows how D-10 determines the top seed between those two?
•The Cochranton girls volleyball team swept Cambridge Springs on Thursday to lock up the Region 2 title. The Cardinals are undefeated at 12-0 and have been dominating this season.
•The McDowell girls volleyball team also clinched a share of its region title. McDowell swept Mercyhurst Prep in a D-10 Class AAA preview to clinch a share of Region 6.