Updates from Saturday’s 33rd annual North East Wrestling Classic. The parade of champions is scheduled for 5:30 p.m.
Earlier updates appear in the previous entry section.
– Mike Copper
* The Redbank Valley Bulldogs won their third straight team title at North East with 208 1/2 points. Kane was second at 178, Sharon third at 145 1/2 and host North East fourth at 133.
* Evan Delong of Kane was voted the tournament’s outstanding wrestler.
* The tournament’s last match goes to Lakeview heavyweight Sam Breese. The 2013 PIAA Class AA champ beat Redbank Valley’s Ben Carrillo 3-1.
* East heavyweight Deiontre Plott pinned Kane’s Keaton Rounsville at 3:53 of their third-place match.
* North East’s Andrew Phelps upset 220 top seed Cal Haines of Redbank Valley with a pin at 4:37 of their title match. Andrew Clayton of Lakeview took third with a 5-4 decision over Seneca’s Tory Pusateri.
* 195 results were Corry’s Ryan Morris over Lakeview’s Marquis Spence 4-1 for first place and BryLee Shumaker with a 1:42 pin of Maplewood’s Isaiah Stearns for third place.
* Third place at 182 goes to Beau Dignall thanks to his 4-1 decision over Maplewood’s Austin Binkert.
* Kane’s Nate Moore only needed 52 seconds to pin Redbank Valley’s Kaven Hornberger in the 182 final.
* Kane’s Evan Delong recorded a 16-1 technical fall at 5:48 of his 170 title match against Trent Zdarko of Oil City.
* Jordan Bryan of North East took third at 170 when Maplewood’s Jake Parsons defaulted because of an injury.
* Redbank Valley’s Keshon Truitt decisioned Sharon’s Cory Buchanan 5-3 for the 160 title. Third place went to Harbor Creek’s Matt Newara who pinned North East’ Kodi Skarzenski in 1:56.
* Eisenhower’s Louie Head lives up to his top-seeded status at 152 by beating Conneaut’s Taylor Ellis 4-1 for the title. Strong Vincent’s good fortune continued, as Jared Carlson placed third with an 11-5 victory over Jeremy Parsons of Maplewood.
* Your 145 champion is Mitch Blose of Redbank Valley, who survived a 5-3 overtime decision over Oil City’s Alex Hargenrader. Third went to Chad Rogers, who also won in OT with a 6-4 score against Kyle Laniewicz of Iroquois.
* 138 championship went to Seneca’s Adam Fish, who outlasted Union City’s Dustin Tomcho 5-3 in overtime. Third went to Sharon’s Troy Hejazi, an 8-2 victor over Central Tech’s Rob Harris.
* 132 first place: John Ciotti of Strong Vincent decisioned Kane’s Darren Brown 6-4 in overtime. Third place went to Conneaut’s Kyle Lukowich with his 8-1 decision over Justin Mason of Conneaut, Ohio.
* Third place at 126 went to Tanner Altobelli of Redbank Valley, who beat Logan Gray of North East 5-3.
* Kane’s Cody Blankenship pinned Sharon’s Austin Alfreno at 3:25 of their 126 championship match.
* The third-place final at 120 went to Kane’s Jon Gelsick, who doubled up Union City’s Dustin Weilacher 4-2.
* Owen Clayton of Lakeview wins the 113 title with an 8-4 decision over Sharon’s Marcus Coxson.
* Strong Vincent’s Josh Caban upsets former North East champ Willis Gruver of Redbank Valley 4-2 in the 120 final.
* Nate Jones of Union City pins North East’s Sam Svetz at 3:50 of their 113 third-place final.
* Redbank Valley’s Ryan Kube takes third place at 106 with an 18-3 technical fall in 2:53 over Lakeview’s Derick Uber.
* Carmine Ciotti (106) wins Strong Vincent’s first individual title at the North East tournament since 2008 when he pinned Maplewood’s Kenyon Andrews in 52 seconds.
* The tournament finale will feature Lakeview’s Sam Breese, the defending PIAA Class AA heavyweight champion. Breese seeks back-to-back North East titles at 285 against Ben Carrillo of Redbank Valley.
* Andrew Phelps of the host Grapepickers will try to knock off top seed Cal Haines of Redbank Valley for the 220 title.
* Corry senior Ryan Morris can win a division at the tournament for a third time if he defeats Lakeview’s Marquis Spence at 195.
* Erie County is guaranteed a winner at 138, as Seneca’s Adam Fish faces Union City’s Dustin Tomcho.
* Strong Vincent has three championship finalists in Carmine Ciotti (106), Josh Caban (120) and John Ciotti (132).
* Two-time defending champion Redbank Valley is poised for a three in a row. The Bulldogs have 191 points to the 158 1/2 of second-place Kane going into this session.
* We’re getting ready for the third- and first-place finals of the 33rd annual North East Wrestling Classic.
* Corry’s Alex Suydan (182) is the last fifth-place winner from District 10. This blog will be idle until shortly before the 5:30 p.m. parade of champions, followed by the championship and third-place matches.
* Chris Starocci of Strong Vincent pinned Deshawn Carr of Iroquois for fifth place at 170.
* Seneca’s Chris Hibbler decisions North East’s Adam Ballew for fifth place at 132.
* North East’s Drew Benden (106) is among the early fifth-place division winners.
* The fifth-place finals are about to begin, followed by a break until the 5:30 p.m. parade of champions.
* The consy semifinals are completed with the heavyweight matches. East’s Deiontre Plott will vie for third place.
* Tory Pusateri of Seneca will meet Lakeview’s Andrew Clayton for third place at 220.
* Maplewood’s Isaiah Stearns made it to the 195 third-place final.
* Corry’s Alex Suydan is a fifth-place finalist at 182.
* North East’s Jordan Bryan is a third-place finalist at 170, with Deshawn Carr of Iroquois and Chris Starocci of Strong Vincent meeting for fifth place.
* Harbor Creek’s Matt Newara, seeded first at 160, will try to settle for third place against North East’s Kodi Skarzenski.
* Jared Carlson of Strong Vincent draws Maplewood’s Jeremy Parsons for third place at 152.
* Kyle Laniewicz of Iroquois will place third or fourth at 145.
* Central Tech’s Rob Harris will wrestle for third place at 138.
* The fifth-place final at 132 will match North East’s Adam Ballew and Chris Hibbler of Seneca.
* North East’s Logan Gray advances to the third-place final at 126.
* Union City’s Dustin Weilacher will wrestle for third place at 120.
* Union City’s Nate Jones wins his 113 consy semifinal in overtime to set up a third-place final against Sam Svetz of the host Grapepickers.
* North East’s Drew Benden will wrestle for fifth place at 106.
* Heavyweights Sam Breese of Lakeview and Ben Carrillo of Redbank Valley round out the tournament’s championship finalists.
* Andrew Phelps of the host Grapepickers will attempt to upset Redbank Valley top seed Cal Haines for the 220 title.
* Corry’s Ryan Morris seeks a third North East title when he challenges Marquis Spence of Lakeview for first place in the 195 weight class.
* An all-District 9 final at 182 will pit Kane’s Nate Moore against Kaven Hornberger of Redbank Valley.
* Vying for the first place at 170 will be Kane standout Evan Delong and Oil City’s Trent Zdarko.
* Sorry for the delay. Computer issues again. The 160 finalists are Sharon’s Cory Buchanan and Keshon Truitt of Redbank Valley.
* The 152 final will have Eisenhower top seed Louie Head in one corner and Taylor Ellis of Conneaut in the other.
* Form holds at 145, as Redbank Valley top seed Mitch Blose will take on No. 2 Alex Hargenrader of Oil City.
* Route 8 rivals Adam Fish of Seneca and Dustin Tomcho of Union City will meet for first place at 138.
* Each Ciotti brother from Strong Vincent is now in a final. John Ciotti upset former tournament titlist Kyle Lukowich of Conneaut with a 1-0 decision in their 132 semifinal.
* Sharon’s Austin Alfreno upsets 126 second seed Logan Gray of the host Grapepickers to advance to the title match against Kane star Cody Blankeneship.
* Strong Vincent has its second finalist in Josh Caban, who will take on 120 top seed Willis Gruver of Redbank Valley.
* An all-Mercer County final at 113, where Lakeview’s Owen Clayton will challenge Sharon’s Marcus Coxson.
* We have our first championship pairing for the tournament, as Strong Vincent’s Carmine Ciotti will challenge Kenyon Andrews of Maplewood at 106.
* Central Tech’s Devion Coleman and Paul Peters of Corry are consy winners at heavyweight. Coming up are the championship semifinals and the consy quarterfinals.
* Nick Beerbower of Harbor Creek advances to the 220 consy quarters.
* Still alive for third place at 195 are Sean Carrick of Harbor Creek and Nick Gibbons of Iroquois.
* Corry’s Alex Suydan recovers from his championship quarterfinal loss as the 182 second seed to advance in the consy bracket.
* Bound for the 170 consy quarterfinals are Harbor Creek’s Dan Kuhn, Deshawn Carr of Iroquois and Jake Parsons of Maplewood.
* Consy victors at 160 include Strong Vincent’s Kane Patron.
* Corry’s Marquise Precha, Girard’s Jordan Friend and Glenn Gregory of host North East advance in the 152 consy bracket.
* Brian Cundy of Girard and Casey Krotoszynski of Harbor Creek advance to the 145 consy quarterfinals.
* Rob Harris of Central Tech moves on in the 138 consy bracket.
* Consy winners at 132 included North East’s Adam Ballew and Harbor Creek’s Alex Locco-Nielsen.
* Tournament computer issued resolved. Resuming posts, Corry’s Jonathan Hammond, Seneca’s Tyler Carrier and East’s Kevin Baeza are listed as advancing in the 126 consy bracket.
* Expect a delay in postings. The tournament computer has crashed.
* Still in contention for third place at 120 are Girard’s Matt Kemper and Union City’s Dustin Weilacher.
* Corry’s Logan Munsee and North East’s Sam Svetz stay alive in the 113 consy bracket.
* Advancing in the consolation bracket at 106 pounds are Parker Curtis of Corry and Emilio Kowle of Harbor Creek.
* Returning tournament champs from District 10 who still have chances for 2014 titles are Kyle Lukowich of Conneaut (132), Ryan Morris of Corry (195) and Lakeview’s Sam Breese at heavyweight.
* All 14 top seeds advanced to today’s championship semifinals. Only two second seeds, Corry’s Logan Munsee (113) and Alex Suydan (182), were eliminated from title contention during Friday’s competition.
* Redbank Valley goes into Saturday’s action with a team-leading 70 1/2 points. The District 9 program from New Bethlehem seeks its third consecutive tournament title.