Benczkowski has been a standout in Class AA for the Lakers for the past few seasons. He put an exclamation mark on his District 10 career Saturday by winning the 100-yard backstroke in a dramatic finish at Penn State Behrend’s Junker Center pool.
He broke his own school record of 54.27 seconds by touching the wall in 53.52 to narrowly beat Corry’s Brent Benedict (53.55) and Mercyhurst Prep teammate Griffin Schaetzle (53.99).
Benczkowski is seeded second in the 100 backstroke entering next week’s PIAA championships at Bucknell University in Lewisburg.
He is no stranger to the state meet. In 2011, after placing second in District 10 Class AA in the 100 back (55.42), he finished 10th in the PIAA with his previous best of 54.27.
Benczkowski also will swim on the Lakers’ 11th-seeded 200 medley relay and their 16th-seeded 400 freestyle relay.
Who is the Breakout Male Swimmer/Diver of the Week?
- David Benczkowski, Mercyhurst Prep (31%, 186 Votes)
- Phil Emerson, Franklin (29%, 171 Votes)
- Dylan Cerroni, Sharon (10%, 62 Votes)
- Richard "R.J." Rahner, Cathedral Prep (9%, 51 Votes)
- Danny Roberts, Fairview (6%, 34 Votes)
- Kevin Intrieri, McDowell (5%, 29 Votes)
- Richard “R.J.” Petrella, Fairview (5%, 28 Votes)
- Luke Merski, Cathedral Prep (3%, 17 Votes)
- Gage Schwab, McDowell (2%, 16 Votes)
Total Voters: 594