Shane Burns has been training and developing throughout his career at Warren in an effort to win a District 10 singles championship. The junior made the most of his first opportunity Monday.
Burns advanced through a tough Class AA singles bracket Saturday before knocking off Greenville standout Chad Ferguson 6-3, 7-5 Monday to claim the D-10 Class AA title.
It was the Dragons’ first singles title in five years. Burns also can head to Hershey for the team championships if Warren pulls out two wins Friday.
Who is the Breakout Spring Athlete of the Week?
- Shane Burns, Warren tennis (28%, 137 Votes)
- Travis Pietkiewicz, Fort LeBoeuf volleyball (20%, 97 Votes)
- Jake Carniewski, McDowell volleyball (14%, 68 Votes)
- Nick Ward, Cathedral Prep tennis (10%, 48 Votes)
- Geoff VanWinkle, Cambridge Springs volleyball (6%, 31 Votes)
- Josh Mack, Cathedral Prep lacrosse (6%, 29 Votes)
- Alex Minnis, Meadville volleyball (6%, 29 Votes)
- Nolan Varee, Conneaut Valley volleyball (6%, 28 Votes)
- Chad Ferguson, Greenville tennis (4%, 25 Votes)
Total Voters: 492