Sarah Kupniewski has been a strong runner for Mercyhurst Prep for several years, but she might have saved her best for her senior season. Kupniewski is emerging as one of the premier runners in District 10 just as the postseason approaches.
She showed her abilities Saturday in the Cochranton Invitational when she took the lead on the infamous Cochranton hill and pulled away for a 21-second victory. Although Mercyhurst Prep coach Dave Stolar said Kupniewski is not normally a frontrunner during a race, she led for most of the way Saturday on the way to a time of 19 minutes, 23 seconds.
“She’s really been coming on strong the past few weeks,” Stolar said “You can see it in her workouts. She’s just been getting stronger and stronger.”
Kupniewski has been part of a consecutive District 10 Class AA team champions and will look to lead the Lakers to another title later this month.
Who is the Breakout Fall Athlete of the Week?
- Sarah Kupniewski, Mercyhurst Prep cross country (17%, 131 Votes)
- Ryan Smathers, North East cross country (16%, 128 Votes)
- Andrew Britton, Cathedral Prep golf (16%, 124 Votes)
- Bernadette Prichard, Villa Maria cross country (12%, 92 Votes)
- Austin Pondel, Corry cross country (11%, 90 Votes)
- Billy Colbert, Hickory golf (9%, 70 Votes)
- Rosy Hearns, Hickory golf (8%, 63 Votes)
- Megan Moylan, North East golf (6%, 49 Votes)
- Matt McCord, Titusville golf (5%, 46 Votes)
Total Voters: 793