This is BYC’s biggest fundraiser, and the proceeds from the walk are key to helping to save animals in the Erie area. This year will be the 18th annual walk, so there is a lot of past experience and information to guide volunteers. Any help or talent volunteers can offer to help put on the walk is welcome, as are new ideas.
The planning committee will meet monthly from April to October (maybe a little more as the Walk gets close). Most communication is by e-mail or phone. Volunteers are needed to serve on the Walk Event Committee and/or to help out on the day of the Walk.
Walk committees include:
1. Sponsors (contact major and lower-level sponsors from previous years);
2. Logistics (procure location, arrange for setup the day of the walk, arrange for vendor tables, etc.);
3. Publicity (get word out through radio, BYC newsletter, newspaper, etc.);
4. Registration (staff one table for preregistered walkers and another for those who have not preregistered);
5. Route/Safety (determine route and sign up volunteers to work along route);
6. Refreshments (contact donors);
7. Distribution (order, arrange to pick up and distribute posters and sponsor forms and shirts);
8. Premiums (solicit donations of door prizes and other prizes for most money, etc.);
9. Special Events (arrange for entertainment);
10. Basket Raffle (contact donors from past years and find new donors if needed).
If you are interested in helping, please post a message on BYC’s Facebook site or send an e-mail to BYCVOLCOORD@gmail.com, and a coordinator will be in touch. In your message, please indicate any committees on which you might like to serve.